PowerFlex and Logix 5000

shoelesscraig

I've read good portions of the 22-COMM-E book, but didn't find the answer I need. So either I missing it, or it can't be done. (Pretty sure I'm missing it!)

I've got a Logix 5000 v17 program (Contrologix processor) with 4 PowerFlex 40s on ethernet thru 22-comm-e modules. The program already does the start, stop, forward, reverse etc through the module defined tags that are automatically created. I want to be able to read the Output Current that is being sent to the motor in the PLC. This would be display parameter d003. The automatically generated tags do not include current as far as I can tell.

How would I do this? Am I going to have to use the MSG instruction?

None of the PowerFlex 4-series drives have a "DataLink" function like the 7-series and 1336 Plus do. You do have to use a MSG instruction to read data from the drive.

You have a handful of addressing options; you can use the PLC/SLC emulated data table function, or the CIP Get Parameter function, or even the Scattered Parameter Read function.

There is a very detailed explanation of a MSG instruction with a Get Parameter service in Chapter 6 of the 22-COMM-E User Manual (publication 22comm-UM004).

Don't expect the messaging to be super-fast; the DSI connection is only 19200 baud, and the 22-COMM-E doesn't process explicit messages very quickly. I would estimate 70 to 100 milliseconds to get a reply to the MSG instruction.

I thought this was going to be the case...

Thanks for the reply Ken. Speed is NOT of the essence, so that kind of time frame will work fine. I will check out the options. Thanks again!

Don't expect the messaging to be super-fast; the DSI connection is only 19200 baud, and the 22-COMM-E doesn't process explicit messages very quickly.

Ken

I see this a lot but what is the difference between the Implicit and Explicit message types?

I see this terminology a lot in ethernet comms but we don't use a lot of message instructions so i don't get to use it.