Lockout Tagout

shawn_75

My organization has reached a point where it is now necessary to have a formal Lockout Tagout SOP in place. I have been tasked with writing the SOP and am asking for some suggestions. We are fairly small with only three individuals that will be able to do a LOTO. We sometimes work in shifts but not usually. Would anyone care to provide me with a copy of their SOP that I could use as a starting point for writing my own?

Thanks,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I can't give you the exact SOP for our workplace but they do include the following.

LOTO at our plant requires that all sources of energy on a given piece of equipment are identified and lock-out points posted on the machine on a placard that identifies these sources and their lock-out points. This includes but is not limited to electrical, air, hydraulic, gravity and stored potential energy. (springs, etc.)

Each source of energy has to either be rendered safe using a lock-out (electrical), releasing the stored energy before work is performed (an air shut-off valve that bleeds the machine of air pressure) or other device that will prevent the release of stored energy (physical locking mechanisms for gravitational or spring energy).

And it also includes training operators and maintenance workers on the different potential sources of energy and to recognize them. Putting safeties into place is only half the solution. Having those that work with them understand the risks and follow the procedures you put into place is the other. This is what we call due diligence.

I'm at home right now but when I get to work tomorrow I'll see if there's anything else I can find out that might help you.

Hoping this was of some help.

Dave

We use a software from brady call "Lock out pro" or something like that. I don't know how much it cost but we saved a lot of time.

Thank you all for your responses, this gets me a good starting point.

There was an earlier thread that also provided me with some very useful information.

Thanks,

Shawn