Panametrics Flow Computer

alexFSC

Hello everyboby, I have a GE GF-868 Panametrics flow computer and with no flow going to the pipe I am getting a Velocity reading in the Flow Computer.

What can make that happen ?

Ultrasonic in general, not GE specific:

1) Zero is not zero, therefore an offset looks like a flow.

2) The pump isn't on and you think there is no flow, but there really is a flow, pressure or thermal siphon, leakage, somewhere there's a differential pressure created that creates flow. The pump not being on is not the same as a block valve being closed.

Ultrasonic transit time is VERY sensitive and good at low flow, so it can pick up flow in the pump off state.

I am having a flow rate of 198.1 KFCF/Day on a 16" pipe I would thing we sure hear that much flow going thrugh the meter/pipe.

The Gas Meter is horizontal with about 25 ft on each side of the probes. Now at about 25 ft from the meter on one side i have an elbow going down( that is where the flow is comming from), and on the other side of the meter run at about 25 ft I have an elbow going up(that is where the flow is going to).

I don't have a upstream valve or downstream valve to shut off, and i do have a stable Temp

I worked in the natural gas business for 34 years. It seems very unusual
you don't have block valves for your meter run.

Last edited: