determining multistate Indicator responses in PanelView Plus Factory talk view studio

realolman

How do you determine what a multistate indicator is going to do when it is pressed?

I have an existing application with a gotoDisplayButton.... the Property panel shows that when it is pressed, it will display another graphic screen that exists in the project.

There are also multistate indicators that do similar things... when pressed they display an existing graphic screen...
but I can't figure out how to determine what they are going to do to save my butt. the only connection I can find is to a variable in the PLC program

How do you determine what it is going to do when pressed.... I know it is going to display a graphic screen, because it does that when pressed... but I can't figure out how it's doing it

with multistate indicators you choose the number of states that you want to use in a particular application under the properties drop down menu. Then you want to choose a tag either plc tag or panelview tag to represent the states accordingly.

Yeah, but this thing is causing a graphic display to appear ... I know where it's changing the value of the tag, but I don't know how its causing the other display to appear... but it obviously does.

Under 'Global Connections' - 'Display' tab check if a tag is in place for 'Remote Display Number'. If so the PLC may be controlling the Panelview display based on the value sent by the Multi-State switch.

Under 'Global Connections' - 'Display' tab check if a tag is in place for 'Remote Display Number'. If so the PLC may be controlling the Panelview display based on the value sent by the Multi-State switch.
There is {::[comms] N7:9}

How does that make a graphic display appear?

In the list of displays there are several smaller displays and a few larger main displays... touching the multistate indicator on the larger display causes one of the smaller displays to appear.

The remote display number doesn't seem to be associated with anything

There is {::[comms] N7:9}

---

The remote display number doesn't seem to be associated with anything

So N7:9 is in the global connections under Remote Display Number?

Then look at the PLC code that writes to N7:9. Each time it changes, the HMI will open the display which contains a matching value as its display number. You don't have to give display numbers to all your displays, only the ones you want to have controlled in this manner.

My terms may not match exactly, and I don't feel like rebooting today to recall the specifics of where to look for each assigned display number, so I am not going to open FTView Studio :)

So N7:9 is in the global connections under Remote Display Number?

Then look at the PLC code that writes to N7:9. Each time it changes, the HMI will open the display which contains a matching value as its display number. You don't have to give display numbers to all your displays, only the ones you want to have controlled in this manner.

My terms may not match exactly, and I don't feel like rebooting today to recall the specifics of where to look for each assigned display number, so I am not going to open FTView Studio :)

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out... the display that is being opened by touching the multistate indicator is called M4 Manual display. It is a graphic display and I can't find anything that associates it with any kind of number. it is a polygon with 5 momentary pushbuttons and a numeric input enable. On the property panel there are no connections.. on it's properties it is just a polygon with no properties of particular interest

I don't blame you for not wanting to open FTView studio... I pretty much hate it

Open the suspected display. On an empty area right click and choose 'Display Settings'. Check the 'Display Number' setting.
without maximizing the display, There is no display settings choice... if you maximize it you can pick display settings .. and the display number is greyed out

you know what I am beginning to think... I don't have a valid project file.
The apa file I have was modified for months after it was installed ... It did not work like this when it was installed

I really need to get the mer file out of the panelview and recover it from the mer file...

fact is, I been trying to do that all day.

I have a mer file but I cannot get it to work like it is supposed to by following the proceedures to convert it to an apa file....

this morning I was able to get it (the proceedure) to work , but somehow it was not the correct file.... It's a long story... and I have not been able to duplicate it with the proper file.. It is really getting discouraging.

I have things I need to do to this thing, and the software is just such an obstruction... It complains constantly of bad activations... I have been in contact with Rockwell on several occasions about it... I just don't know what to do.

Software is supposed to be helpful and intuitive ... God... this stuff is impossible... It may be oK to create stuff with but boy to try to troubleshoot or modify... and that is what I have to do .. the company is out of business, the people are scattered...

I guess I'll try again tomorrow... this has got to be the world's longest, most fruitless attempt to make simple modifications to a PLC and HMI program ...

Last edited: