Beckhoff string array and .NET

Taco

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I want to read an array of strings (3500) out off a Beckhoff CX with VB.net and place them in a combobox.
The simple way is to make 3500 handles to every item in the array, and read them in. But this takes too long (about 20sec.).
Does anyone know a faster way to do this?

Why is 20 secs too long - the combo box isn't displaying all 3500 strings at the same time is it ?

Yes it is. Actually I have 4 arrays of strings in the Beckhoff, each with 3500 items maximum. In the PC program I have 4 comboboxes I want to fill, each with an array. So 4 times 20 seconds makes....... too long for a user to wait for.

Where are the strings coming from and why would they change - can't you read the strings in a background thread ?

The strings are items like Badgenumbers, employee numbers, RFID-chip codes, etc.
I guess I can make a thread doing it in the background. I only have to read them in when the PC program starts. After that the arrays don't change very often.

Last edited: