EPROM vs EEPROM

BillRobinson

I have a spec that calls for an controller complete with EPROM. I'm my mind this is a flash card, when in fact a flash card is a EEPROM. An EPROM is usually erased with UV light. This is obvious a typo but my question is would any PLC's on the market today have an EPROM in them?

UV erasable EPROMS are pretty much old school any more. EEPROMS are most likely what they want, with a remote possibility that they actually want a one-time-programmable EPROM for program storage that cannot be changed.

I think AB PLC5s could take an EPROM. I know they can take an EEPROM. Maybe we're just getting into an acronym problem!

The modular style SLC500s can accept an UVEPROM and they even provided a utility to create an image ready for burning on an EPROM burner (the CPU could only burn EEPROMS).