AB Compact Logix Question

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Question is can you have a L3x series talk on 2 seperate ethernet networks or do you need to use a L4x.

Thanks,

Local Vendor got back to me right after I posted this. You can make a L3x talk on 2 different networks the problem is one will be going thru a serial port so you really do not get the full speed of the ethernet protocal.

You can also use a managed Ethernet switch and use static routes through 2 seperate gateways. This would allow you to use 1 ethernet interface and access 2 networks.

My strong recommendation would be to use a router with port forwarding enabled. That lets you essentially split the capacity of the existing Ethernet port and not add a larger-than-needed controller or a slow-than-molasses serial port.

But I've certainly had this discussion with enough consultants who don't want another bit of hardware installed and configured and can't get it through their heads that if they specify ControlLogix, they should stand firm and insist on ControlLogix.