Help needed with structured text

chrisk_81

Hi all,

I'm trying to assign the individual characters from a STRING data type to an array of BYTE's as below:

text : STRING(5) := 'hello';
char : ARRAY[0..4] OF BYTE;

Does anyone know how to get this to work? I thought this below would work but it doesn't:

char[0] := text[0];
char[1] := text[1];
char[2] := text[2];
char[3] := text[3];
char[4] := text[4];

Last edited:
to get a better answer please tell up what PLC you are using

eg RSLogix 5000 does not have Byte data type
The STRING data type that is a system defined data type containing .LEN DINT and .DATA SINT[82] where the SINT is the contains the individual characters you are wanting to manipulate

The software I'm using is cp1131 and is used to program Berghof cpu's.

I've tried accessing the characters via text.DATA[n] but cp1131 doesn't like it.

Would love to know if anyone out there has an idea on how this data might be accessed.

Last edited:
It uses Codesys 2? If so you can download oscat basic library from oscat.de and use CODE to extract chars from string.

Code:
FOR Index := 1 TO 100 DO
    Chars[i] := CODE(STR := STR, POS := i);
END_FOR;

Code:
VAR
 text : STRING[5]:='hello';
 char : ARRAY[0..4] OF BYTE;
 PT : POINTER TO BYTE;
 i : INT;
END_VAR

-------------------------------------------

pt:=ADR(text);
FOR i:=0 TO 4 DO
 char[i]:=pt^;
 pt:=pt+1;
END_FOR

Thanks everyone for their input but Archie you are the man! That solution worked beautifully and also taught me a few things I didn't know. Thanks again for your help.