CIP path to SLC-5/03

m_turk

Hi,

I have to connect a few AB plcs to WinCC.. I usually work with Siemens so I have a problem..

They are connected via ethernet. The driver I use is the original WinCC driver for ABs..

With 3 Micrologixs, I didn't have any problems, because the communication path is 1,0 (they have build in ethernet..)

But one plc is an old SLC-5/03 connected through the 1761-NET-ENIW.. The connection is ok, I can get online with it with RSLinx, but for the WinCC driver, I need the CIP path..

I tried some manuals, but the examples there are a bit of an overkill with jumping through few networks and such, so I get lost..

So, please if someone can give me some pointers..

Thanks..

Come on guys, I really need help on this one..

Don't need a complete solution, but at least point me in the right direction. I know you know it :)

The project is almost over, but this one is still offline.. Tried a few tricks, but with no result for now..

Hello,

I could be wrong. I just started playing with the NET-ENI last week. And from what I have learned there is not a path. The NET-ENI converts the commands to DF1. The IP address and the port number are the only values needed. What port number are you using? Did you try 2222?

Also in the NET-ENI configuration is a checkbox, 'CompactLogix Routing', I think it needs to be enabled. You use the utility from AB to enable it.

Last edited:
The 1761-NET-ENI should respond to EtherNet/IP commands exactly the same way that a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 does.

It only supports the modern "EtherNet/IP" protocol on TCP Port 44818; it does not support the old A-B Ethernet protocol used with the PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 controllers in the 1990s.

The Net-ENI and the MicroLogix are both the end-point for the message, so they don't need a CIP Path. You might try "1,1" to account for the DF1 relationship between the Net-ENI and the SLC serial port.

Remember also that the Net-ENI has a very limited capacity for TCP connections; it can handle connections to only six peer devices with only four connections in any given direction (incoming or outgoing). If it is already connected to multiple other devices you might simply have run out of capacity.

There's a trick for using Telnet to connect to the Net-ENI to determine the number of current TCP connections... I'd have to look it up on the RA Knowledgebase.

The last time I talked to a customer about WinCC it had a ControlLogix native driver, but you needed a third party OPC driver to get access to SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix. Did Siemens add a SLC/PLC/MicroLogix driver ?

There's a trick for using Telnet to connect to the Net-ENI to determine the number of current TCP connections... I'd have to look it up on the RA Knowledgebase.

I replaced a Net-ENI a while ago and found that the newer version had a webpage. Try typing in the ip of the Net-ENI into a web browser. I usually have to turn off "Automatically detect settings" under LAN setting in internet explorer options, to connect to a PLC's webpage, but this will depend on your network configuration.

Also in the NET-ENI configuration is a checkbox, 'CompactLogix Routing', I think it needs to be enabled. You use the utility from AB to enable it.

For now, it is disabled, so that is a good idea.. I'll try that. Thanks. :)

But I'll have to go to the location.. The remote connection crashed yesterday.. So it won't be today..

The 1761-NET-ENI should respond to EtherNet/IP commands exactly the same way that a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 does.

I thought so too. But since it didn't work (and I didn't know..) :confused:

At least I know now for sure.. So I'll look into other things, like the 1761-NET-ENIW config, recheck the routes..

The last time I talked to a customer about WinCC it had a ControlLogix native driver, but you needed a third party OPC driver to get access to SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix. Did Siemens add a SLC/PLC/MicroLogix driver ?

Yes, the SP2 of WinCC7.0 has new drivers.. (ControlLogix was there, they added PLC5 and SLC50x/Micrologix) :nodi:

About the number of connections.. Only WinCC should connect to it, so I don't think it was the problem, even with me connecting to it sometimes..(webpage or RSLinx)

I replaced a Net-ENI a while ago and found that the newer version had a webpage.

Yes, the webpage was working.. And the connection through RsLinks too..

Hi,

I ran a couple of test.

With a 5/04 and an NET-ENI the port is 44818.
With a 5/05 and an NET-ENI the port is 44818.
With a 5/05, using the Ethernet connection, the port is 2222.

I assume with a 5/03 the port would be the same as a 5/04.