Moving FIX 7.0 from NT to XP

I have copied FIX 7.0 Bld 112 from NT to XP. Generally everything looks good but the polling from the SLC 5/04 usign the ABH driver is not working right.

Maybe I have the wrong version of RS Links (v6.12) for the ABH driver?

Maybe the SIMS are not appropriate for XP? I just copied over the original files into the new install of FIX, SIMS and all.
I welcome any suggestions. Regards, Amos

Could I ask how xp is connected to the slc- is it via serial or ethernet?
If its by serial is it a usb to serial converter? or a traditional com port

if it is the former- then you will have com issues with most PLC's as the usb serial devices don't handle the coms particularily well

if its ethernet try a different opc server- like kepware (you can run it for 2 hours off a free download

and test the system using it- if it yields the same results try fixing the network card speed to say 10mbs full duplex rather than auto negotiate on both the plc and PC

if that doesnt work- make sure the firewall is configured to work with linx on ports 2222 and 44818

Forgot to mention I had issues with RSlinx about 10 years ago when we first moved to w2k- cant remember what we did to fix or what version it at the time but I think an update was required.was academic as I migrated all plc to PC coms to kepware opc

Fix 7.0 Instructions

Thanks very much for the reply and at unbelievable speed.

The interface is serial port on the Dell motherboard, no USB nor converters.

I noticed on an old thread someone mentioned RS Links version could be an issue. Any suggestions?

Possibility?

Amos

If you have a laptop with a serial port- download kepware and configure the ab driver for a serial connection (or on the same Dell PC which is better-

In terms of fix- I migrated over to Iconics Genesis Webhmi so my memory is running low on how to configure it

Firstly do a csv export of the tag database from the slc
then when you have kepware set up do an export of the config
open both files in excel
Copy the tag names and addresses from the slc csv file into the right columns in the kepware csv

save the kepware csv as a csv(not a worksheet as it shometimes does
Import the file back into kepware

this should give you a working tag databse for the 504

you can then connect the PC/laptop to the processor and see the live PLC values using the opc quick client (icon looks like a little hammer)

you can then perform reads and writes
If this operates normally- then its probably the linx version that is the issue

Alternatively take a disk image of the PC and put it on another PC (it needs to be the same model)

Download a later version of linx onto the new PC
and connect it to the PLC- if you still have the issues then its unlikely to be linx- try setting the com port settings using the old dos Mode command or disabling the fifo buffers or set them low

Virtual PC route
alternatively- create a VM image of the old PC and install the VMware software on the new one
as long as you share the printer port(for the dongle) and the serial port- for PLC coms- you should be able to extend the life of your old system
Wmware should be free

If any of this helps I'll expect a job offer in the morning. :->

Good luck

you could always have been unlucks and got a faulty dell- now there's a first!

Shaun, thanks for all the detail and good suggestions. Actually using the RS Linx tools it is working great for both the PC and the SLC. I think I have identified the issue as related to FIX since in the Windows XP Appication Log I am getting the following error:

FIX Error: C:\FIX32\ABHSPOLL.EXE (C:\FIX32\siolib60.dll) Access is denied

Any suggestions?

Possibly not the same issue: In my previous implementation only a FIX Admin could access the Windows task bar (by pressing the windows key). This provided access to Windows functions, without stopping FIX.

Can someone suggest how I can reimplement this security feature?

Thanks, Amos