panelview 1000 2711-T10C9L1 Comm

david90

It has two comm ports and both are labeled "RS232." From the user manual, one port is DH-485 and the other is DF1 (printer port).

How can the rs232 port operates as DH-485? I thought that DH-485 can only operate on RS-485 physical layer.

Data Highway 485 is implemented on RS-232 on quite a few A-B devices, way back to the 1747-PIC converter in the late 1980's.

MicroLogix, SLC-500, CompactLogix, and ControlLogix controllers all support DH485 on their RS-232 ports.

The PanelView Standard with DH485 protocol over RS-232 was created to connect to DH485 networks using the 1761-NET-AIC isolator, or to connect directly to an SLC or MicroLogix controller serial port using that protocol without an isolator.

Why didn't they just implement DF1 Full Duplex ? That's a mystery. DF1 Full Duplex wasn't implemented in the PanelView Standard until the early 2000's, as I recall.

It has two comm ports and both are labeled "RS232." From the user manual, one port is DH-485 and the other is DF1 (printer port).

How can the rs232 port operates as DH-485? I thought that DH-485 can only operate on RS-485 physical layer.

RS-232 and RS-485 are Electrical Specifications for the Physical Layer. DH-485 is an Allen Bradley Communications Protocol that is transmitted across a Physical Layer.

Stu....

Data Highway 485 is implemented on RS-232 on quite a few A-B devices, way back to the 1747-PIC converter in the late 1980's.

MicroLogix, SLC-500, CompactLogix, and ControlLogix controllers all support DH485 on their RS-232 ports.

The PanelView Standard with DH485 protocol over RS-232 was created to connect to DH485 networks using the 1761-NET-AIC isolator, or to connect directly to an SLC or MicroLogix controller serial port using that protocol without an isolator.

Why didn't they just implement DF1 Full Duplex ? That's a mystery. DF1 Full Duplex wasn't implemented in the PanelView Standard until the early 2000's, as I recall.

Since the DH-485 port is rs232 and my computer serial port is rs232, then I can connect to the pv using my PC with a straight thru serial cable?

Yes, you can connect the RS-232 (DH485 protocol) port on the PanelView to your PC with a straight-through serial cable.

This requires the use of the RSLinx Classic '1747-PIC/AIC+' driver, which is notoriously difficult to configure in Windows. It requires a true built-in serial port, Windows XP Service Pack 2, and some luck.

The general alternative to the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is the 1747-UIC USB to Data Highway 485 interface, which has both RS485 and RS232 physical plugs on it.

The printer port on PanelView Standard terminals with DH485 or DF1 protocol (A3, A9, A16) cannot be used for Upload/Download.

To upload and download you also have the option to use an ATA Flash memory card. I often use a sub-2GB CompactFlash card with a CF/PCMCIA carrier.

Yes, you can connect the RS-232 (DH485 protocol) port on the PanelView to your PC with a straight-through serial cable.

This requires the use of the RSLinx Classic '1747-PIC/AIC+' driver, which is notoriously difficult to configure in Windows. It requires a true built-in serial port, Windows XP Service Pack 2, and some luck.

The general alternative to the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is the 1747-UIC USB to Data Highway 485 interface, which has both RS485 and RS232 physical plugs on it.

The printer port on PanelView Standard terminals with DH485 or DF1 protocol (A3, A9, A16) cannot be used for Upload/Download.

To upload and download you also have the option to use an ATA Flash memory card. I often use a sub-2GB CompactFlash card with a CF/PCMCIA carrier.

Are you absolutely sure that I can't upload/download using the printer port? The manual says that I can upload/download if I disable the printer port's print function. Maybe I read the wrong user manual?šŸ™ƒ

I'm sure. I had to check, and found confirmation in the RA Knowledgebase, in Answer ID # 49755 (TechConnect).

All the terminals that have a network communications port (RIO, DH+, Ethernet, etc) and an RS-232 printer port can have that printer port disabled and used for upload/download.

But the terminals that have a serial-based communications port (the DH485 and the DF1 terminals) as well as an RS-232 printer port can't use the printer port for anything but printing.

I'm not sure why it's this way, but it is.

Hmm...here's a pic of my panelview 1000.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/img0042sa.jpg/

you can see that the printer port is labeled "download"
I assume this mean I can use it to download programs into the pv. Yeah, I'm getting a lot of mixed information.

Hmmm, interersting. Have a look here.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/1239781/1670480/1681260/tab6.html

Scroll down to the bottom, and note the Asterisk (*) Note that says that Port is for Printing Only. We seem to have a quandry.

Have you ever successfully Downloaded/Uploaded through the Printer Port?

Stu....

no I have not been able to download/upload thru the printer port.

Arggg... pv is so frustrating. There's an existing program in the pv. How in the world do you clear the memory. I've searched all over including the user manual

I don't have a flash disk right now.

I'm sorry, I had just posted to another thread about a PV600, and had that on the brain. Here is the one for the PV1000.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/1239781/1670480/1681260/tab7.html

What Operating System and Service Pack are you running on your PC. As Ken mentioned in an earlier Post, it is possible to set up the DH485 Driver over RS-232.

Stu....

I tried the dh485 driver but it didn't work. Got a "swap" error. Also I don't have a real serial port but a usb serial port.

I have another pv1000 with the same catalog # but is a series B. The label above the printer port does not have "download" but only "RS232." Not sure if this info can help but I'm just putting it out there.

For some reasons I think the existing program is preventing me from disabling the printer port. In the user manual, it says that I need to disable the print function in order to download/upload. How do I clear the memory of the pv? I've looked everywhere.

Well, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong about a handful of things; the default Node Number is supposed to be 2 on a DH485 model terminal, and it's certainly possible that upload/download was added later to the DH485 terminals Printer Port. RA Tech Support will probably have a more complete knowledge.

General purpose USB/RS232 converters can't run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver, under any operating system. That's why the 1747-UIC was built.

You can get to the Configuration screen by cycling power and pressing the white square that appears in the left lower corner of the screen. Then you can scroll down to the Printer Setup item and Disable Printing. When Printing is disabled, the port should be usable for DF1 Full Duplex protocol for Upload/Download. This setting is active immediately; the application program doesn't have any effect when you're in Configuration Mode.