panelview 1000 2711-T10C9L1 Comm

Well, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong about a handful of things; the default Node Number is supposed to be 2 on a DH485 model terminal, and it's certainly possible that upload/download was added later to the DH485 terminals Printer Port. RA Tech Support will probably have a more complete knowledge.

General purpose USB/RS232 converters can't run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver, under any operating system. That's why the 1747-UIC was built.

You can get to the Configuration screen by cycling power and pressing the white square that appears in the left lower corner of the screen. Then you can scroll down to the Printer Setup item and Disable Printing. When Printing is disabled, the port should be usable for DF1 Full Duplex protocol for Upload/Download. This setting is active immediately; the application program doesn't have any effect when you're in Configuration Mode.

I went to the printer setup item and tried to disable it by touching the button with my finger. I screen responded to my touch but the button still said "Printer enabled" (or something like that). There was no indication that the print function is disabled.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that the reason why I can't disable the printer port is because of the pv's current firmware. I got this pv used so it's possible that somebody changed the firmware.

Is it possible to update the firmware via compact flash?

Yes, you can connect the RS-232 (DH485 protocol) port on the PanelView to your PC with a straight-through serial cable.

This requires the use of the RSLinx Classic '1747-PIC/AIC+' driver, which is notoriously difficult to configure in Windows. It requires a true built-in serial port, Windows XP Service Pack 2, and some luck.

The general alternative to the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is the 1747-UIC USB to Data Highway 485 interface, which has both RS485 and RS232 physical plugs on it.

The printer port on PanelView Standard terminals with DH485 or DF1 protocol (A3, A9, A16) cannot be used for Upload/Download.

To upload and download you also have the option to use an ATA Flash memory card. I often use a sub-2GB CompactFlash card with a CF/PCMCIA carrier.

This is a stupid question but when you say "This requires the use of the RSLinx Classic '1747-PIC/AIC+' driver...", do you mean I have to buy the actual physical device with catalog #1747-PIC/AIC+ from AB or just configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ software driver in rslinx?

Last edited:
This is a stupid question but when you say "This requires the use of the RSLinx Classic '1747-PIC/AIC+' driver...", do you mean I have to buy the actual physical device with catalog #1747-PIC/AIC+ from AB or just configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ software driver in rslinx?

It's not a stupid question at all. Since you stated in an earlier post that don't have a real Serial Port, in this case the answer is no. To use USB you will need the DH485 UIC devices Driver in RSLinx, and the 1747-UIC Interface.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

There are also third party versions available. I have had good luck with cables from here

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm

He is very helpful, and it wouldn't hurt to check and see if your PanelView is supported, as there is a note that not all are.

Stu...

why does 1747-PIC driver in rslinx able to connect to pv even though I don't actually have an the 1747-PIC interface?

why does 1747-PIC driver in rslinx able to connect to pv even though I don't actually have an the 1747-PIC interface?

This goes back to your original question about DH-485 and RS-232. The 1747-PIC Driver does two things. It supports the 1747-PIC Interface to RS-485, the Physical Layer, and it provides the DH-485 Protocol to communicate with the Device (i.e. PLC,PV). If you are just using RS-232, it still provides the DH-485 Communications Protocol. For instance if you were using a 1761-NET-AIC, you would typically connect to it over RS-232, and it would perform the conversion from RS-232 to RS-485.

Stu....

I found a computer with a real serial port and I was able to connect to the pv using the RS232 DH485 port.

Why the printer port has the label "download" is still a mystery. I'm not able to download using that port at all. :unsure: It's the 8th wonder of the world.

I found a computer with a real serial port and I was able to connect to the pv using the RS232 DH485 port.

Why the printer port has the label "download" is still a mystery. I'm not able to download using that port at all. :unsure: It's the 8th wonder of the world.

I am glad to hear that you finally had some success.

Stu....

Both in theory and practice, only a built-in RS-232 port will work with that driver.

My personal kit consists of a 1747-UIC for the DH485 interfaces and a Keyspan 19HS for everything else.

If want to connect a micrologix 1000 (DF1 RS232), panelview 1000 (RS232 DH485 port) and a computer together, then I would need at least 2 1761-NET-AIC?

Yes.

You would connect the 1761-NET-AIC isolators together through their DH485 trunk ports, then connect the MicroLogix, the PanelView, and the PC each to a serial port. This would leave one serial port unconnected.

The MicroLogix 1000 can use either DH485 or DF1 protocol, and can auto-detect which one is being used. If you are going to keep the MicroLogix connected to this network permanently, you should select DH485 as the Primary Protocol so it doesn't have to perform this auto-detection.

Am I right when I say that the 1761-NET-AIC only converts one physical layer (ie rs232 to rs485) to another and not the communication protocol(ie dh485, DF1) itself?

I got two 1761-NET-AIC modules and I wired the 485 trunk together. I connected a micrologix 1000 to the first 1761-NET-AIC module and the second 1761-NET-AIC module to the PC's serial port. My goal is to make my PC see the micrologix 1000 which is separated by a 485 trunk.

The RSlinx driver that I must use to make RSlinx see the micrologix 1000 is the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver?