Micrologix 1400 Ethernet/IP vs Modbus

rmb550

I have been using the Ethernet/IP port to communicate to a PanelView HMI and laptop running RSLogix Micro. If I configure the port as Modbus TCP, do I lose connectivity to the HMI? I am simply wanting to move a set of registers from and to a PC, and am wondering whether Ethernet/IP or Modbus is the best way to do it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
rmb

I just spoke w/ one of the rockwell guys yesterday about this. If you have a series b M1400, It should be able to do both at the same time.

Cool thanks. I take it I need to upgrade my RSLogix Micro from 8.10.00 to 8.30.00. Anyone know if that's expensive to do?
rmb

If you are using an A-B PanelView terminal (Standard, Plus, Component) then just stick with EtherNet/IP. There is no reason to bring Modbus TCP into the mix.

Software upgrades are included in your TechConnect contract. If all you own is literally RSLogix 500 Micro, the support contract should be very inexpensive. The only way to get a support contract is via the quote process from your Rockwell Automation distributor.

Ken,
Are you saying I should use Ethernet/IP to talk to the computer (I want to send packets back and forth)? Or is the earlier post saying I can run both out of that port accurate? In which case I could keep the HMI on the Ethernet network too.
rmb

Modbus/TCP and EtherNet/IP can happily run on the same Ethernet switch all day long.

The point is that it is much easier to configure a PanelView terminal to communicate with a MicroLogix controller using the protocol that is native to both, which is EtherNet/IP.

What make and model of PanelView terminal is this ?

It is very ordinary to have a controller, an HMI, and a PC all plugged into a small Ethernet switch in a control panel.

I re-read your post and it sounds like you have a non-RSLogix or non-RSLinx application on the PC that you want to communicate with the MicroLogix.

This, too, will work fine.

The MicroLogix 1400 Series B controllers will support EtherNet/IP plus one alternate protocol simultaneously.

You must have a Series B hardware controller. The Series A hardware cannot be firmware-upgraded to support these features.

You can have:

1. EtherNet/IP only
2. EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP
3. EtherNet/IP and DNP-3/TCP

You cannot have:
4. EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP and DNP-3/TCP.
5. Modbus/TCP and DNP-3/TCP

I use the 2711C-T6C which I have been using via an unmanaged Ethernet Switch to connect to the ML1400, all using Ethernet/IP. Seems bullet proof so far. The issue is I have a new application that includes a customer PC connecting to the network to send packets back and forth to the PLC - and I am not sure the best way to do that, but the customer mentioned Modbus. Since I have no idea whether he can "speak" Ethernet/IP I was looking into whether I could run Modbus for him and E/IP for the HMI all on the same network, or whether I should try to talk him into looking at E/IP.
rmb
ps I appreciate the input and opinions!

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. It looks like I will need to upgrade my RSLogix to talk to the Series B controller.
rmb