rsview32 datalog sucks

escoplcguy

why does rsview32 dataloging suck so much..i cant seem to get it to trigger when i want on a tag and when i pull the datalog file its so long and nearly unprintable.

does anyone have any help for me with rsview datalogs??

i set up an even to snapshot based on a tag but it still doesnt capture what i want when the tag goes true only sometime or seems like whenever it watns.

I don't have any problems with the datalogger so I'm not sure exactly where you are having difficulties. Why don't you go to your DLGLOG directory under your RSView project (or wherever you are logging to), zip up your datalogger configuration files and post them - just the data log config files (.mdf extension), not the data files in the folders.

"king of all" here are the files you requested....well file, but i also added my trigger if you needed to see what was triggering the log....or well whats supposed to be

Two things I see right away.

1) In your event you don't need the IF/THEN/ELSE statement. Just the tagname datalog_trigger alone will do. The event file is configured to run just once a second. If the tag datalog_trigger changes at a rate that is faster than that then you need to decrease the event file evaluation period for that event file (Use Setup option on menu bar when EVE file editor is open). Is datalog_trigger periodic? If so then consider eliminating it and configuring your data log to log on periodic intervals instead of on demand.

Also, does datalog_trigger stay true for long periods of time? If you use the tag only in the statement then it should trigger an event only when the tag first becomes true.

2)You are using automatic file management to start a new file at midnight. If the files are too big to make reading practical then consider using the datalognewfile command to create new data log files on a batch basis instead of a daily basis.

What program are you using to open the datalog files for viewing? (I use Excel)

will take notes and change up trigger.....i will explain setup...if you even want the ladder i will provide in PM....a block comes up to measuring device...before operator pushes block through to be measured he scans it with a handheld scanner. then pushes it through, when the measuring sensors take first reading that marks sensers 1,2,3 step 1. when it sees the first photoeye this marks sensers 1,2,3 step 2. when it sees the last photoeye this marks sensors 1,2,3 step 3. after it sees this photoeye it starts "ejecting" TON. when that TON is EN that turns on a bit which is "datalog_trigger" my hope was to capture only the block id (barcode) and the 9 readings from the table just once and wait for the next block. when it was on periodic i recorded so much data it was 95% unuseable. meaning we want to creat an end of the day report to see what when through and what the measurments were.

i opened in RSView Enterprise File Viewer.exe to create a .csv file then opened that in excel. it was very long and only printed 6 columns. im not good with excel but getting better, i found a way to print all the columins but i still have to minipulate them (deleting all the different St columns and such)

You should be able to open the file directly into Excel. Excel can read DBIV files, you shouldn't need to convert to csv first. Each tag will be logged in its own record and Excel will group them in columns. Make a macro to format the file for printing.

The TON .EN bit needs to stay on for a long enough period that the EVE file gets to execute, ie, it probably needs to be a minimum of 1-1/2 seconds or so. If that's not possible then change the event period to something that is at least 1.5x faster than the timer .EN bit period.

Last edited:
i know nothing about macros......where can i get more info? is this something i can teach myself with a lot of reading of is it better to go to a couple classes. will this macro be in view32 or in excel??

I was referring to an excel macro. There are lots of good tutorials on the net about creating excel macros so that you can automate a series of operations such as deleting all the St columns and formatting for printing.

To open your data file directly into Excel, rick click on the datalog file and pick Open With. Choose Excel. Select the always use this program option. After you do that the data files will appear with an excel file icon and can be opened in excel by just double clicking the file.

Consider switching to Red Lion, half the cost with twice the functionality. The data logging is a breeze

Roy

This is a case of the OP not having adequate knowledge of RSview32. Certainly no reason to spend good money to simply tear out the HMI, and re-develop on another platform and gain nothing from the investment.

This is a case of the OP not having adequate knowledge of RSview32. Certainly no reason to spend good money to simply tear out the HMI, and re-develop on another platform and gain nothing from the investment.

You are correct of course, however learn from the experience and switch for the next project you will find the Red Lion much more friendly. The log files open in Excel with no translation required.

Last edited: