RSView32 Datalog

hazey

Guys I have a server running RSLINX(oem) only, it is connected to controllogix platforms. Then have 3 other computers running RSView32 clients connected to server running RSLINX. Is it possible to continue to datalog when all the client machines are turned off? At the moment the clients all log to their own c directory. I think the paths for dataloging on these machines should all point to one file is that correct?

thanks

Hazey

Hi Hazey,

If I'm understanding you correctly the answer would be no. Rslinx is a communication software that creates the bridge between the PLC's and the RSview clients and RSview does all the datalogging. On the client machines you can check the paths of the datalogging to see where the data is being sent when they are on by clicking the "path" tab on the "data log setup" screen.
One possible way to log while the clients are off is to install RSview32 or RSSQL on the RSlinx server (that is if the server still sees all the PLC's when the clients are off).
Hopefully this is of some help

Good Luck

As pc_geek suggested, that exists. It's a separate program, not an RSLinx plugin. You're looking for a "historian", RSSQL in the Rockwell world.

You want to use an SQL database as opposed to writing to a common network path. The former is designed for concurrent access. As you suggested, at least 1 on the computers (hosting the data logging application and SQL database) would need to run to ensure continutity of data, but individual clients need not be up. A more generalized data logging application like FactorySQL could also be used to put your data into the SQL database.

One thing for you to check out - I'm not sure if your RSView clients can view historical data logged from RSSQL. There might be a plugin to support that. If you were running the distributed version of RSView (SE), this wouldn't be an issue.

hazey said:
Yeah I just wondered if there was on add on for RSView to datalog seperate to running client.

thanks

Hazey