Rsemulate500 usage

John shui

Hi everyone,

I used Emulate500 to debug my ML1400 program. When I set a breakpoint to stop my program, the value in "acc" register for TON instruction was reset to 0, so I can't trace out the mistake. Any data shopuld be frozen just before programme stops. This thing happened again when I used "scan" function in emulator. Did I set something wrong?

Thanks for any reply.

Last edited:
I have not used breakpoints so I am not sure. Have you tried making a copy of the data as part of the application? Is the address in a Debug File?

Also, if you can post the code and describe the symptoms, we may be able to help you even if you don't get the breakpoint feature working to your satisfaction.

I found a way to attche my code in this message. Pls open the zip file to take a look for that. This programme is super simple, it works. It can generate a square wave for O:0/1. However, I can't debug this step by step under my control. I try to interrupt it by using "breakpoint", "halt", "scan", but the value of "acc" in TOF didn't freeze, it was reset to 0. So I can't trace the problem out if there is in somewhere. Looks like you can help me to figure out this issuse.

Thanks

I'm not sure of RSEmulate's behavior, but I would try using a "TON" instruction(s) instead.
Or perhaps an RTO with separate reset (XIC Tx:y/DN----RES Tx:y)?

Just guessing, but maybe the breakpoint action causes things to happen similar to prescan. The RTO timer should hold its value if this is the case...

I have not opened the zipped file yet...no RSLogix500 on this machine yet anyway. But, if the file is really that simple, then someone should be able to tell you exactly what will happen in a real PLC when it runs. Emulate does have some limitations, like PID instructions and timer accuracy, so bear that in mind when using it to test logic.

Don't forget the use of Debug files and ladders...maybe you can retain the value during a breakpoint by copying (MOV) the pertinent value to a debug file address, or by using another method beside breakpoint.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody,

I want to discuss with you about what we concerned.
1. "RTO" can't be reset to 0, it was kept at anytime programme was paused. OkiePC is right. I knew that.

2. I put "Mov" instruction in Debuge file, it can keep the "Acc" value to some register such as N7:0. However, because "Acc" still was set to 0, then T4:0/DN was set to 0(false), even before interruptting the logic was 1(true), then all the logic around here changed to false and totally made me confused.

3. I also used TON instruction to generate the square wave before. The logic is easier to understand than TOF. But the same issue happened as TOF. I can't control and debug them step by step.

Hope can get solution.
Thanks