Rslinx OPC errors

todster

My Iconics HMI server with RSlinx classic 2.5 cpr7 setup as OPC server went Tango Uniform.(It's actually XP with IIS 6.0) IT swapped the drive to another server. The licensing for Rslinx and Iconics is squared away.
Naturally up until it quit it worked fine. Now the RSlinx OPC diagnostic log is showing errors for every tag similar to below:
AB_ETH-1\10.10.81.20 : 008940A_S_CR_TL : 08/01/11 - 02:45:06 : 00h
Items: 008940A_S_CR_TL
Type: READ
Mfg: Allen-Bradley
PlcType: PLC-5
Desc: 008940A_S_CR_TL: PLC5/SLC500 invalid file type
Number of occurrences: 629

I've already tried it with a different current .rsp just to be sure it wasn't .rsp wasn't corrupted. It has to be something with RSlinx licensing or a file for RSlinx got messed up when the server shutdown. No tags work for any of the PLC's.
Anyone have any ideas?

"IT swapped the drive to another server" You mean that the hardrive was a NAS drive or something, and IT moved it, or ?
"the licensing for Rslinx and Iconics is squared away." My english is not good enough to understand what "squared away" means.

Sounds to me that you are saying that the harddrives where modified/moved/exchanged, and after this the OPC connection started to fail.
That does sound as if the RSLinx license is lost, and in that case RSLinx reverts to Lite mode, which does not support OPC.
So, you have to recover the license.

In case I have misunderstood:
If you open up RSLinx, does it state that it is "RSLinx OEM" or "RSLinx PRO", or "RSLinx Lite" ?
If OEM or PRO, check if there are any OPC connections configured, and what is the status. Check the OPC/DDE Topic configuration.

The hard drive was moved to another similar but not identical unit. The licensing was all reactivated by Iconics and Rockwell for the new hardware.
Rslinx is classic Gateway. It just said classic on the header before but after a few reboots I see it now states Classic Gateway. The OPC connections are configured and the correct .rsp is selected for each PLC and associated to the correct connection.

gsmi.jpg

Since it is "gateway", are you checking this one the PC that is directly connected to the PLCs, or from another PC ?

edit: I repeat this question:
If OEM or PRO, check if there are any OPC connections configured, and what is the status. Check the OPC/DDE Topic configuration.

On the directly attached PC, try to run an OPC test client and try to specify the addresses with and without symbols.

On the directly attached PC, investigate that RSLinx online connection is configured and running without errors.

Check that you can find the PLCs via RSWho.

Last edited:
gsmi.jpgAll are PLC5/80E. The opc test works fine. Not sure how to add tags to the opc test. As far as I can tell the connections are fine.

The symbols work or at least one that isn't through dataworx is ok through the opc test.
gsmi2.jpg

I'm guessing perhaps the issue is with dataworx dll for rslinx?

I'm guessing perhaps the issue is with dataworx dll for rslinx?
Something like that. Try to recreate the connection in the OPC client.
Maybe various registry entries have been messed up when the harddrive was inserted into a non-identical PC. Rather than continuing to fumble with this PC that seems to have become messed up, I would consider a clean install on a fresh new PC.

Numerous symbols are incorrect which apparently have gone unnoticed for a long time. As you stated, a clean install would probably be the best bet. Unfortunatley it will be by the IT department and I'll still be at square 1. Once they've proved that IT is a misnomer, I'll get handed a basket of parts and an egg timer.

Once they've proved that IT is a misnomer, I'll get handed a basket of parts and an egg timer.
Ha-ha. This describes the typical IT department in a nutshell....unfortunately.