Factory Talk Studio

Hi All,
What is the difference between Factory talk View Studio Enterprise Edition and Machine Edition.
I want to extract HMI Screen running on Panel View Plus and mimic the same HMI Screen on Sacada Server and Client system.

Here from Rockwell Software website:

Both FactoryTalk View Site Edition and FactoryTalk View Machine Edition share a common design environment called FactoryTalk View Studio that allows you to create applications in a single design environment. FactoryTalk View Studio supports editing and reusing projects for improved portability between embedded machine and supervisory HMI systems. With FactoryTalk View, all software products in the suite are built on the same integrated, scalable architecture. Application developers can import entire machine-level applications into supervisory-level applications or drag individual components and drop them right into supervisory projects, saving development time and reducing engineering and training costs.

Basically, consider ViewME to be used as a machine-level HMI system, ViewSE as enterprise-level system.

Despite the title, the following document will give you an useful comparison between View SE and View ME, in term of characteristics and features (see the table starting at page 17)

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/ftalk-qr004_-en-p.pdf

You may import graphic displays done for ViewME inside ViewSE using the following procedure:

1. Open the project you want to add the displays to.
  2. Go to the Graphics -> Displays right click and select Add Component Into Application.
  3. Browse to the Gfx folder under the FactoryTalk View ME Project.
  4. Choose the graphic you want to import, one at a time.
It is recommended to import any Global Objects that the display needs, before importing the display itself.

Hope this helps,
- fuzzy logic

I know this is old, but came up when I was looking for something else so thought I'd add to the current answer set.

ME is really designed for panelview but you can run it on a PC as well by buying a special ME runtime license. This makes it easy to replicate on a PC. BIG WARNING THOUGH. It doesn't run as smooth on a PC, there are a few quirks that pop up but are mostly corrected through updating factorytalk view with all the current patches. ALSO pay attention to WHY you are replicating the screen. you don't want to create a second control point inadvertently just to give the guys in the office a way to see the machine status. you will be doubling the comm loading on your PLC comm card. you will also potentially be giving someone control remotely when you may not want it. I would consider what the 'extra' terminal requires and create a special application just for it, maybe starting with the original app to speed development while stripping out unwanted functionality.

If you will have multiple apps watching a single PLC, is your comm card dedicated for SCADA or will overloaded comms cause your PLC to miss reading process data? You may want to consider a dedicated network card for SCADA in your PLC and/or a PC to act as an OPC/DA server to aggregate the requests.

I believe ViewPoint also has a feature to take an ME application and expose it via a web interface as readonly without having to do any additional development, but I could be wrong on that.

I know this is old, but came up when I was looking for something else so thought I'd add to the current answer set.

ME is really designed for panelview but you can run it on a PC as well by buying a special ME runtime license. This makes it easy to replicate on a PC. BIG WARNING THOUGH. It doesn't run as smooth on a PC, there are a few quirks that pop up but are mostly corrected through updating factorytalk view with all the current patches. ALSO pay attention to WHY you are replicating the screen. you don't want to create a second control point inadvertently just to give the guys in the office a way to see the machine status. you will be doubling the comm loading on your PLC comm card. you will also potentially be giving someone control remotely when you may not want it. I would consider what the 'extra' terminal requires and create a special application just for it, maybe starting with the original app to speed development while stripping out unwanted functionality.

If you will have multiple apps watching a single PLC, is your comm card dedicated for SCADA or will overloaded comms cause your PLC to miss reading process data? You may want to consider a dedicated network card for SCADA in your PLC and/or a PC to act as an OPC/DA server to aggregate the requests.

I believe ViewPoint also has a feature to take an ME application and expose it via a web interface as readonly without having to do any additional development, but I could be wrong on that.

You may be missing some of the intent with the SE software. With FTView SE your project is server based with clients connecting to this server to get the project. So you can update the server and all of the clients will update automatically. You can also make online edits rather than needing to download the project as you do with ME. I have a few SE systems with up to 100 clients each (although only up to 50 is supported). No communications problems or PLC loading problems (with a 1756-EN2T Ethernet card).

Hi,

I am wondering how Factroy Talk ME and SE licence are managed. I have FTView Machine Edition installed. Now I want to work on SE but I don't have software package. Would anybody help to get FTView SE along with ME on same system (For development). Do I need separate licence to use SE?

I am looking forward to valuable responses.

I'm afraid SE and ME Studio are separately licensed. So, you will need to additionally purchase a FTView SE Studio license

I just updated my FactoyTalk View Studio to allow me to do SE projects. It was about $1500 more to do the upgrade.

Hi everybody,
I have a short question and I hope somebody knows the answer.

Is it possible to compare two Displays easily. The problem is, i got a newer Version of the Project and i have to update this Project. The tricky part is, that i have made graphical changes, like to place something somewhere else and k
now there is a newer Version of the Project with some parts that were added later.

How can I compare them?

There is none implemented application available for comparison. Option can be, to export the Displays as *.xml and comparing those by using 3rd party compare engine.

Hope this helps,
- fuzzy logic

I develop factroy talk SE application a year back and and don't remember the version of FT View Studio. Now, I tried to restore using Studio version CPR 9 SR 4 but I can't find import option to import .apa

Do any one know which version of Studio do I need to import .apa application file.

I develop factroy talk SE application a year back and and don't remember the version of FT View Studio. Now, I tried to restore using Studio version CPR 9 SR 4 but I can't find import option to import .apa

Do any one know which version of Studio do I need to import .apa application file.
Application Manager is the tool used for restoring .apa files.

Mohbat Tharani,

A belated but sincere "Hi and welcome to the Forum!" from me.

Mohbat Tharani said:

A tip...

In keeping with Forum etiquette, please start a new thread for unrelated queries to the original topic of the thread.

Your first post in 2016 was also unrelated to the topic of this thread (SE licencing issue).

Just mentioning "SE" in a post does not mean it belongs here. If everyone with an "SE" related issue posted here it would keep some of us strange folk up nights.

Please start a new thread using the link I've provided above and make the title specific to your issue. Although you have already attracted an excellent assistant in nhatsen, this way you will attract more people who may assist you in other ways. Myself included.

Regards,
George