OPC Problems - long/detailed - need help

Lakee911

Hi All,

I'm trying to use OpenOPC (and like everything else under the sun) to connect to an Iconics HMI OPC Server. It works fine from my Laptop (Running WinXP), but it doesn't work from my client's computer. I've tried XP, Vista and Server 2008R2. The server is what I actualy need to run on the PC.

This is the command the run on my laptop:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\User>opc.exe -m dcom -h op2hmiprimary -s {0E8B028E-8569-43F3-AE5E-50072BD2ED1E} -o csv -r STMOA47.IO_Unit_1.Top.AIN.AIN_1_Scaled_Value
This returns
STMOA47.IO_Unit_1.Top.AIN.AIN_1_Scaled_Value,2.0167,Good,09/12/11 16:19:48

When I run it on any of my client's PCs I get the following:
Connect to OPC server '{0E8B028E-8569-43F3-AE5E-50072BD2ED1E}' on 'op2hmiprimary' failed - Connect: Unspecified error (Unspecified error)

Now, the OPC server (op2hmiprimary) is not in a domain, but some of my clients PCs are and my laptop is as well.

When I run the command and it fails, I'm getting the following in the Event Log
The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID
{13486D44-4821-11D2-A494-3CB306C10000}
is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

Windows Firewall is off on all of the computers, anyone can telnet to any machine port 135 just fine. I've tried setting up IPC$ connections prior, nothing helps.

I've only been able to get one program to work and that's Advosol OPCDA.NET Client Component Evaluation OPC DA V2 Test Client.

So, I'm at a super big loss here for what to do. I've spent so much time and I have really run out of options. I'd appreciate any help. Any ideas?????

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

As soon as you connect from one PC to another DCOM gets involved and if I had to guess it is a DCOM setting that is getting in your way.

I don't think it is DCOm as I can make some connections, but I won't rule it out. Got any specfic suggestions on what to look at?

How does IIS apply?

Thanks.

Hello,

>I don't think it is DCOM as I can make some connections

A classic symptom of DCOM issues. ;)

I can tell you how to make it work with PeakHMI. Search the web for OPC and DCOM and you will find data.

Great... I have done lots of that searching but nothing clear cut on the client end. I don:t have access to the server, but if I can tell them what to change they will.

Jason

Hi,

Right the issue is going to be on the server side.

PM me your email and I will send you a short doc for PeakHMI and maybe you can apply it to your OPC server program.

And remember when you make a change to a DCOM setting you need to restart the computer for the change to fully apply.