Upgrade 984-quantum

More details needed

How much upgrading are you doing?

Keeping all of the existing I/O and simply changing the processor?
Changing everything?
Adding functionality like ethernet communications?

In general the 984 Ladder Logic of a Modicon 984 processor can be directly downloaded into a Quantum processor. The I/O mapping (traffic cop) needs to be corrected or created. Some advanced functions (like process control) used loadables but are now standard in Quantum, so they would no longer be required

Upgrade 984- quantum

Thank you for your response
Just the processor not the I/O at the moment. Is this a
fairly straight forward task then?

Depends on what you already have

Yes, it is normally very easy. Typically the only areas of concern are the S975 remote I/O system, Hot Stand-by applications, and Drum/ICMP instructions.

I just finished one project like this: 984-685E replaced with Quantum - no problems at all, quoting another similar project now

Did you keep all the LL into the Quatum PLC or did you replace it with the more modern IEC standard or even half-and-half, partitionning the memory of the Quatum with 2 loadable firmwares?

About two years ago we were thinking about upgrading our old 984A Modicons to the newer Quantum. The vendor actually brought one out and we hooked it up to our system to see if there would be any problems. We have the 800 series I/O and there were no problems at all.

For our replacement it was just a copy of ladder. Just minor changes.
Used Proworx NXT.

Couple reasons to switch:
Main reason - keep me busy :p

Seriously, this customer is a complete Modicon based plant, had some problems with 984 spares. So they replacing few 984s and using as a spares for other equipement.
They picked this particular series of machines, because they needed to add Profibus-DP master not abvailable in 984 series.

We got 434 processor with same combination of serial ports 2MBus,1MBus+, so it was direct replacement.

The only problem I saw that 800 I/O modules can be wired "up" and "down" - split wire harneses on 32 point modules.
With Quantum same 32 wires must be going down - very little space.