Roll Former PLC

FredericDS

I'm new to the world of PLC and I'm looking for some advice on how to move forward with my project.
Current situation:
- A company (Nucon)provided us with a roll former machine and a software to create the design of the part. From this design we can generate the machining code to produce the part with the roll former. The issue is that generating the part design with the provided software is a long & tedious job.
- To accelerate design I've built 2 applications in a CAD system (CATIA)to provide 2 fonctionalities: 1- automatic creation of part design based on requirements. 2- Automatic generation of machining code based on a 3D Model.
- The issue I ran into is that I don't know how to "feed" the machine with the machining code I've generated. In other words, I want to bypass the software that they provided us with.

Question:
1)Is there any method to directly feed the machining code directly to the machine? If so, how should I proceed?
2)Do I need to change the PLC or is it just cheaper to develop a new software (Interface)?

Thanks for your advice.

I'm new to the world of PLC and I'm looking for some advice on how to move forward with my project.
Current situation:
- A company (Nucon)provided us with a roll former machine and a software to create the design of the part. From this design we can generate the machining code to produce the part with the roll former. The issue is that generating the part design with the provided software is a long & tedious job.
- To accelerate design I've built 2 applications in a CAD system (CATIA)to provide 2 fonctionalities: 1- automatic creation of part design based on requirements. 2- Automatic generation of machining code based on a 3D Model.
- The issue I ran into is that I don't know how to "feed" the machine with the machining code I've generated. In other words, I want to bypass the software that they provided us with.

Question:
1)Is there any method to directly feed the machining code directly to the machine? If so, how should I proceed?
2)Do I need to change the PLC or is it just cheaper to develop a new software (Interface)?

Thanks for your advice.
There is no such thing as a "Roll Form PLC". All PLC's are generic and rely on a programmer to give them direction. This Direction is based mostly on the type of I/O connected to the system. In the case of a Roll Form machine I would imagine that there are several servo controllers. Either hydraulic or electric, mostly depending on the size and type of material being rolled.
Because of this a whole lot more information is needed to answer your questions.
Giving the Brand name may help someone, but remember this forum is "free" and most of the people who respond here are VERY knowledgeable which means that their time is VERY valuable. Please give as much information, as clearly as possible.
Read my by line. :)

Automatic generation of machining code based on a 3D Model.
What is the format of the 'machining code'? The questions asked before (what model/brand controller runs the machine?) fully apply but I am having a hunch that the 'machining code' is using G-codes and we are dealing with a CNC rather than a PLC system here.

Additional Information

The brand of the controller is Baldor. The machine has one servo controller and is hydraulically controlled.
I captured additional information on the machine (Nurframe-ToolLocation.jpg.
Baldor provides a software named MintNC (MintNC.jpg)that allows G-Code to be input.
My question is the following:
Since the configuration of machine does not mention Roll former should I roll out MintNC as a possible solution?

Nurframe-ToolLocation.jpg MintNC.jpg

Current situation:
- The issue I ran into is that I don't know how to "feed" the machine with the machining code I've generated. In other words,
You have been delivered a machine, and you cannot figure it how top accomplish a task that is required step for the machine to function. Obviously it must be possible, or is there something that you havent told us ?
The solution would be to contact the supplier and get support on how to accomplish the task.
I want to bypass the software that they provided us with.
Why do you want to do it like that ?

MintNC allows you to import your drawings or G-code to convert it to Baldor MINT programming language. You indicate you are trying to "draw" the part with the mintNC software. This is not necessary. You should be able to use your software for automatically generating the drawing, and maybe even automcatically generating the G-code, and then import this to the mintNC software just for the purpose of converting it to MINT code.

No matter what, your not going to get around having to use the MintNC software to at the very least do the conversion, but I can't imagine that being very tedious. Should take less than a minute to do. You might even be able to write some Visual Basic script code to automate the MintNC conversion so that it is transparent.

I also encourage you to call Baldor and discuss with them what you are trying to do. They will be able to answer all of your detailed questions with ease.

Last edited:
The picture that you posted looks like a punch table that would go in front of the roll former. If it is a punch table then you need to generate an index table where each entry has an index distance and a punch to operate. E.g. Move 200mm operated punch A, Move 100mm operate puch B, Move 200mm Operate Shear Cut etc.

Nick

Hello I'm new to this PLC....... I'm getting trained in Keyence, OMRON, and Allen Bradley PLC. Can you please help me out how to go forward and wat are the Q asked in Interviews etc.....

Hello I'm new to this PLC....... I'm getting trained in Keyence, OMRON, and Allen Bradley PLC. Can you please help me out how to go forward and wat are the Q asked in Interviews etc.....

One of the main questions I've always been asked is "How do you start a new thread when you want advice?".

(seriously - you'll get a lot more help if you start a new thread - http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2 )

;-)

Well for starters, forgot all about Keyence. No one uses their PLC products. Concentrate on AB, they are usually at the top of the desired skill sets in PLC land.

Good luck getting an answer to that. FredericDC has contributed two posts to the forum, both on the topic he started in 2011. I suspect he doesn't spend much tome here.

Keith