FactoryTalk View SE 13.00 scroll values using on screen directional up/down arrows

ebolbol

Say I take some MODBUS registers and pull into my Logix plc DINT array (sequential).

Now, I get a little fancy… using FactoryTalk View SE 13.00, I create a faceplate graphic with an up and down arrow.

Would any of you wizards know if there is a function in SE that would allow me to link to that DINT array using a numeric or string display and scroll up and down sequentially in the DINT using the soft up and down arrows to look at the values?

I've attached the face plate and example of what I'm talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

faceplate.JPG

Say I take some MODBUS registers and pull into my Logix plc DINT array (sequential).

Now, I get a little fancy… using FactoryTalk View SE 13.00, I create a faceplate graphic with an up and down arrow.

Would any of you wizards know if there is a function in SE that would allow me to link to that DINT array using a numeric or string display and scroll up and down sequentially in the DINT using the soft up and down arrows to look at the values?

I've attached the face plate and example of what I'm talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

if you're displaying the value in a Array[1] and want to change that to Array[2]... point the indicator to the Array[array_value] then use the buttons to +1 or -1 from array_value and change the number of the array itself being looked at?

or.... use the Object -> Indicator -> List and just make a list of them, link the caption to the tag name... not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited:
if you're displaying the value in a Array[1] and want to change that to Array[2]... point the indicator to the Array[array_value] then use the buttons to +1 or -1 from array_value and change the number of the array itself being looked at?

or.... use the Object -> Indicator -> List and just make a list of them, link the caption to the tag name... not sure exactly what you're looking for.

thanks for your reply. I want to be able to treat the faceplate as you are walking up to that module out in the field to arrow through parameters to take reads from the module. That's pretty much it.

From your description it sounds like you need to index through each module, that points to the data for that module & then scroll through the parameters of that module, your description is not clear enough if this is the case.
Lets assume that is what you want to do then you will need either just point to the data for that module & have all the required information displayed for that module, to point to the data area of a module then also scroll through the parameters is going to be a little bit more difficult. you would almost certainly require multiple pointers I would think.
I have done something similar on a Scada system, a generic faceplate but not sure FTV has that ability, it is simple to point data to a graphic i.e. faceplate but to also scroll through data once the faceplate is pointing to the data structure.
You are only showing one set of scroll keys yet seem to indicate you need to scroll through each module then scroll through the parameters ?.

Hi Parky, I need to simplify my post. Here is a different illustration to make it less confusing.

My faceplate graphic will be fixed on my client screen. I just want to operator to be able to use the soft arrow keys to scroll through the 50 dints containing information polled from the OMNI device. One piece of info on the faceplate, one arrow touch at a time up or down.

faceplate.JPG

It looks like the data is in a DINT array in the PLC. If so, it would be trivial (with an AB PLC...) to have the arrow buttons on the HMI increment/decrement a DINT tag that's used as an indirect address index to MOV the desired element of the DINT array to a display DINT that the SE application shows. Your PLC code would LIM check the index value to stop or wrap around at the ends of the array.

The only way I think you could do it is by indirect addressing, however, your data needs to de contiguous i.e. in one block. or possibly in an array.
So this is probably best done in the PLC, the problem is the text.
I have done this, however, it was on a Beijers HMI, there is a function called multiple Choice, it is like a drop down selector it can be used this way, there is a variable tied to it, lets call it My_Selection.
If operator input is selected then clicking on it will bring a dropdown list of the text, selecting one will put a value from 0-8 into the variable i.e. if selected first text then this will put 0 into My_Selection, select next field will put in a 1 & so on
You can use that value in the PLC to indirectly address the required value you wish to display, however, they must be in an array i.e. My_Array[0..7] of real
so when a drop down is selected, then in the PLC
you indirectly move My_Array[My_Selection] into the field to be displayed.
To do this in RSL500 just as an example the code would be
MOV F8:[N7:0] F8:100] // move the data (My_Array[My_Selection] to My_Field)
So what happens is that when the number on the selection variable changes the text changes & indirectly points to the data that is moved into the variable on the screen
The other way is just to use the buttons to increment or decrement that pointer but make sure you do not go out of bounds of the array i.e. make sure it goes 0 to 7 only (or what ever the number of variables you need to display, Not sure FTV has this sort of selector & like Beijers it could be limited to a small number, also on Beijers they have a message function that does a similar thing that can have hundreds of texts based on a value.
I do not have FTV so cannot see if this is possible but I would be surprised if it did not have this function.

Choice.png

Forgot to add the pic of the multiple field

yup... that's exactly what I want to do! there has got to be a combination of SE graphic and RSLogix element one can use to index the logix element to display the corresponding data point.

yup... that's exactly what I want to do! there has got to be a combination of SE graphic and RSLogix element one can use to index the logix element to display the corresponding data point.

there is. I mentioned it before, its in the object category and list.

also you can do this in the logic and display the data in an array. then just point to the array[internal_array} for the omni screen

arrays.PNG

doing it this way would make it scroll back to the beginning of the list and keep it from going out of bounds for the array and faulting the processor. If it goes above the final array it sends it back to the first and the other way around.

Last edited:
This is the same selector list in FTview SE.

You could just use it as a scroll list, and set the caption to each individual DINT[0], DINT[1] etc, instead of having them be something that can be selected for a purpose.

This list would update real time like any tag would so that just depends on how you want to accomplish it.

LIST.PNG

Last edited:
there is. I mentioned it before, its in the object category and list.

also you can do this in the logic and display the data in an array. then just point to the array[internal_array} for the omni screen

That's exactly what I was thinking of, except you should do the limit checking (rungs 3 and 4) before moving the data to the display register (rung 2).

Local Message Display and the associated Local Message file are perfect for this. You'd need to add your buttons to increment/decrement the Trigger value. Downside is it won't work with a Trigger value of zero, but I'll bet we could work around that.

Capture Local Message Display.PNG

Last edited: