RSView Point Count Exceeded

JHarbin

I just wanted to vent a little...

A customer purchased RSView Works and Runtime for me to create a project for them. I installed the software and started playing with a project. I imported the Tags from a ControlLogix project and all was fine.

Then...

Once I was sure everything looked good I activated the software and that's when the problems began. I tried to reopen my project and was met with a message that stated that I had more tags than my Works could handle so the project wouldn't open. I checked with Rockwell to find a work around that would allow me to open the project and delete unneeded tags to get under the limit. I was told twice that I needed to buy a larger package. The package size I have is plenty large enough, I just made the mistake of importing all the tags from ControlLogix.

First, why do they need to limit the Works package at all? They could always just limit the runtime even if it is run from within Works.

Second, I found my own workaround. I exported the tags using the Rockwell Tool, edited the file in Excel to change enough tags from Device to Memory to get under the limit, then imported the Tags telling the system to update the existing tags. Now I can open the file.

Second vent...

Why couldn't Rockwell Support have suggested this solution without me having to find it on my own?

Part of the reason for my rant is to suggest this solution to anyone who runs into the same problem - I couldn't find a solution online either at Rockwell site or google search.

They went from the tag based license model to a screen based license model on RS/FTView, but when RSView32 was out, almost all HMI vendors used a tag based licensing scheme. Why it applies to works studio as well? I don't know, except that works can run applications, and they wouldn't want you to have a workaround.

As far as the tech support goes, I can't think of a single time that I've ever had a decent response from Rockwell's tech support phone lines. They are worse then useless for something like $20,000 / year for my plant. Siemens, on the other hand, has absolutely superb phone tech support, or at least they did. And I didn't have to pay for it.

Well that's a pretty big generalization! I've (for the most) part have gotten good to great support. Sometimes you might not like the answer, but they do try and help you,

Why couldn't Rockwell Support have suggested this solution without me having to find it on my own?
What can be said? Of course all marketing efforts at Rockwell are to sell you more stuff than you really need. That is American capitialism at its most money-making but also most aggravating.

PS: There is another work-around when you run out of tags. Each tag can be a 16-bit word instead of a binary bit. Then inside RSView, you can split the word into bits using expressions and unlimited derived tags. It is cumbersome, but can save you when you are just a few tags short.

What can be said? Of course all marketing efforts at Rockwell are to sell you more stuff than you really need. That is American capitialism at its most money-making but also most aggravating.

PS: There is another work-around when you run out of tags. Each tag can be a 16-bit word instead of a binary bit. Then inside RSView, you can split the word into bits using expressions and unlimited derived tags. It is cumbersome, but can save you when you are just a few tags short.

My point was that I didn't run out of tags, I just made the mistake of importing before activating and then once I activated, the project was unusable.

Since I couldn't get back into the project I couldn't delete the tags the "normal" way.

I don't have a problem with these packages being sold by the size (though there are certainly better models out there - Iconics for one) and I wouldn't have minded a message saying I couldn't enter Runtime until I got the point count correct. But not being able to open the project *at all* to correct my mistake was a bit harsh...

I know, I was just saying in case you ever found yourself in the situation that many of us have faced - out of tags, out of money, and out of time.

Another work-around is simply to create a new blank RSView project, then import your old project into the new blank, one graphic at a time. Then import a reduced set of the old tag database.

Well that's a pretty big generalization! I've (for the most) part have gotten good to great support. Sometimes you might not like the answer, but they do try and help you,

I stand by it, and I tell every Rockwell CSR that pays a site visit. They all act interested, write things down, and nothing ever changes. Even the LISTS if issues I hand them (mostly bugs in their software) seems to be tossed in the trash as soon as I'm out of sight.

I've never, not once, ever had Rockwell support help or solve anything. I can't even think of a time they have pointed me in a generally right direction for a solution.