SLC504 Failure

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Customer called me yesterday, said that their SLC504 had crashed & was not recovering via the normal methods (Run->Program->Run Mode, Power Cycle etc)

The CPU was not visible via RSLinx, therefore not connectable to try & diagnose problem.
Even removing battery overnight did not change things.

The LED's on the CPU are flashing, at what looks like a pattern, with every so often all of the flash (I think there is about 6..?).

The way it happened:
Customer was in middle of doing rounds & taking backup copies of all PLC's on site.
Upon connection to this Particular PLC, the Auto-Configuration that they did was correct & I think they could view the CPU through RSLinx.
Then, the crash happened.
I will mention also, that there is a AIC connected to the Serial Port of this CPU, & this was disconnected for the customer to attempt the backup.

They had a spare 504 16k CPU (the dead one was a 32k), so we installed that, downloaded program & things are not running again.

What we don't know, is what could of caused this & if it is recoverable. Upon power up this morning, I believe it is still flashing the same pattern.

Also, the 16k CPU cannot be connected to with customer laptop. They are running RSLogix500 V7, & the error message that comes up is corrupted processor. I am running V8.1 & can connect no problem.
Is it possible that the firmware of the replacement CPU is newer than what V7 supports? :confused:
Or, is their version of RSLogix500 corrupted, therfore this could of potentially caused the CPU crash?

The customer has been connected to this PLC in the last month to make minor changes with no issues, but, that was in the last month...

Cheers

I think you will find that there is, somewhere, a technical bulletin regarding this from AB in that due to a software bug in version 7 of rslogix500, when you go online and make any type of change to the ladder and save it, the processor will curl up and die requiring a full clear down and re-installation of the ladder program. this was solved in later revisions.

Steve

Ok, I did the Reset as per the Tech Note, & the CPU has recovered!
This has been a very valuable post & result for this customer :site:

I think you will find that there is, somewhere, a technical bulletin regarding this from AB in that due to a software bug in version 7 of rslogix500
I have been trying to find this tech note, anyone know what search criteria or bulletin no..?
I can find plenty about the corrupted processor issue, but none that the earlier version may of caused this..?

O
I have been trying to find this tech note, anyone know what search criteria or bulletin no..?
I can find plenty about the corrupted processor issue, but none that the earlier version may of caused this..?

I have read about it before and maybe this is whats being refered to

36596 - RSLogix500 rev prior 7.1 when accesses SLC 5/03, 5/04, 5/05 processor frn prior 10 getting error: 'Corrupted Processor' or 'No response from processor at selected path/node'.

I have read about it before and maybe this is whats being refered to

36596 - RSLogix500 rev prior 7.1 when accesses SLC 5/03, 5/04, 5/05 processor frn prior 10 getting error: 'Corrupted Processor' or 'No response from processor at selected path/node'.
Perhaps, that is what I also found.

My concern, is what caused this in the first place, was it the version?
I read in one of the notes about connection with different RSLogix500 versions, I have V8.1, whereas they have V7...