What is the role of a project manager

Bob O

What is the role of a project manager? I’m not one but do work for a couple and I am interested what the role is suppose to entail. I will assume this is an open ended question that can vary from company to company but just looking for others views.

Thanks,
Bob O

Hi it will depend on lots of factors such as company size.

Generally you would be responsible for a project budget, a team of people and the responsibility for getting the project in on time and in cost.

In my experience they dont want to spend any moeny and try to stiff me on expenses lol

Ok, but how much are they expected to know about the project? When problems arise and they know about it are they suppose to act on it or let the guy in the field figure it out? Oh and small company.

Depending on his/her role, their job may be just to know about the problem, be the "in between man" to send information about the problem to the higher ups while the people on the ground are able to focus on working, and determine which of the workers should be in charge of fixing it.

Sounds to me like you feel your project manager isn't doing as much as he/she should, and are looking for someone to tell you "they should be out there fixing all the start up and design issues". But a project manager doesn't necessarily mean they have to fix every problem that the project runs into. They are there to manage the project, including all the resources available to the project, which may include designating what workers are to be fixing what problems.

IMHO a "project manager" is a person who does the least work on a project, but gets the credit when it is successful. Conversely, when it isn't successful, they have the power to delegate responsibility for failure to someone else.

Very often a "project manager" on a project is also a "project manager" on one or more other projects simultaneously, which means of course he is not a full-time manager on any one project. So the project requires a "lead engineer". This "lead engineer" is the one who will get the flak when things turn bad, but not the credit when things go well.

A real "project manager" will do all he can to make the job of the "lead engineer" difficult, and of course in doing so, he will make the "lead engineer" totally responsible for the difficulties, often quoting some unwritten "law" that says "lead engineers" should anticipate the changes and new deadlines that "project manager" can introduce at any time.

o_O

It appears some of what I am up against is typical. He is a nice enough guy that I think tries but does have a couple of projects causing him problems at this time. I'm just running into a lot of mistakes/problems caused by other that "Oh, we will just have Bob fix that" but it is getting a bit old on this project.

Thanks for the replies and I'm done venting

IMHO a "project manager" is a person who does the least work on a project, but gets the credit when it is successful. Conversely, when it isn't successful, they have the power to delegate responsibility for failure to someone else.

Very often a "project manager" on a project is also a "project manager" on one or more other projects simultaneously, which means of course he is not a full-time manager on any one project. So the project requires a "lead engineer". This "lead engineer" is the one who will get the flak when things turn bad, but not the credit when things go well.

A real "project manager" will do all he can to make the job of the "lead engineer" difficult, and of course in doing so, he will make the "lead engineer" totally responsible for the difficulties, often quoting some unwritten "law" that says "lead engineers" should anticipate the changes and new deadlines that "project manager" can introduce at any time.

o_O

This is typical of a PM that doesn't have experience, or limited experience, with Automation.

Me, being a licensed PE, certified PMP, and experienced in Automation for at least the last 15 years, have a different approach. I keep the pulse of the entire project, consult with the lead engineer, and head off issues when possible. I do not pass the buck, as I am responsible for the success (or failure) of the project.

I guess it comes down to integrity. If you don't have it, and you are just playing the part of PM, then you will have the issues that are described.

Good luck.

o_O

I'm sure there are very good Project managers out there - unfortunately i haven't meet one yet!

The above is an accurate description of all Project guys at my current employer.

I WAS ONE (in my past life).... I think that I did a good job

Here are some of the must do's

1) Fall guy: if the project was a stupid idea by upper management you must have a large *** that someone can chew on
2) Jack of all: Must be able to do anything, if the others that are working on the project can't get the job done then you MUST or if they had to much to drink the night before
3) A good coffee drinker: Sit in stupid meetings and update others that don't have a clue on how the world works
4) Good ears: Listen to to others
4a) Bad ears: Listen to some others and do what you think is correct
5) Take ownership of the project, even after you quit the job... you must still get phone calls from them and help (what you can remember) 2 years later
6) Charge them a lot when you do service calls years later :)

If a PM keeps changing the finish line on you - Document these things.
At some point later, someone (or a large commitee) will come asking you why X went wrong and if you have documented the changes, or the inaccurate spec you were given, you can redirect the witch-hunt away from you (and make it look like you know what you are doing :)

I do a lot of "project management" functions at my job and its not easy to do well, nor is it ever the same twice (ie: "you want wires where ?"

-John

1) Fall guy: if the project was a stupid idea by upper management you must have a large *** that someone can chew on.

Yep, you got it, Genius. My main role as a Project Manager was to take the blame when things went wrong. Then try to fix the problem.

Wow - talk about rampant cynicism!

I think Genius is closer to the proper role than Daba. All of the jokes have a basis in fact, of course. Just like there are varying levels of programming and engineering talent, there are varying levels of management talent too. The problem is that there are now too many programmers and engineers without hands on experience, and too many project managers that studied it in school but never did any of the low level tasks themselves.

In theory, and sometimes in practice, it isn't necessary to have the technical skills to manage a project well. After all, General Groves managed the Manhattan Project and got an atomic bomb built without being a nuclear physicist! However, it helps.

A project manager has to montior budgets and schedules. He has to pick a team with the required skills and assign tasks accordingly. He has to keep everyone aiming at the right target. He has to interface with management to keep them appraised of progress, problems, and keep them committed and on target. He has to detect problems, solicit solutions, and select the best solution and the best staff to implement it. He is part cheerleader, part salesman, part accountant, part father confessor, and part a$$ kicker.

The problem is that an aspect of a good project manager is an excellent B S Filter. Developing that requires time, hands on experience, and a record of encountering failure and then succeeding. You don't often have that coming right out of school!

Wow - talk about rampant cynicism!

I think Genius is closer to the proper role than Daba. All of the jokes have a basis in fact, of course. Just like there are varying levels of programming and engineering talent, there are varying levels of management talent too. The problem is that there are now too many programmers and engineers without hands on experience, and too many project managers that studied it in school but never did any of the low level tasks themselves.

In theory, and sometimes in practice, it isn't necessary to have the technical skills to manage a project well. After all, General Groves managed the Manhattan Project and got an atomic bomb built without being a nuclear physicist! However, it helps.

A project manager has to montior budgets and schedules. He has to pick a team with the required skills and assign tasks accordingly. He has to keep everyone aiming at the right target. He has to interface with management to keep them appraised of progress, problems, and keep them committed and on target. He has to detect problems, solicit solutions, and select the best solution and the best staff to implement it. He is part cheerleader, part salesman, part accountant, part father confessor, and part a$$ kicker.

The problem is that an aspect of a good project manager is an excellent B S Filter. Developing that requires time, hands on experience, and a record of encountering failure and then succeeding. You don't often have that coming right out of school!

Wise words, Tom.

My post was, as you so rightly noted, light-hearted, and came from some past experiences. Of course there are good, the bad, and the (ugly?) indifferent. Sadly, "Good" is only one-third of that population.