Role Description and Responsibilities

Hey Guys,

My company is looking to introduce a new role for a Site Systems Engineer
I have been asked to define this role and I am having trouble building a list of responsibilities and the exact wording to use.

People in similar positions what exactly comes under your umbrella of care?

Welcome to the forum.
please explain what this person supposed to do?
go to the customer site and do the preliminary work and direct others as to what the customer wants?
be the site engineer at your location and fix problems?
manage and direct others at your location as to how to design and program to get a standard established and keep training?
i have been a systems engineer for many years, doing the customer meeting, prelim design, telling others. Never heard of a site systems engineer.
regards,
james

Last edited:
Hi,

What industry is it in? Will they be more Control Systems? ie PLC, SCADA, ect.
A beeter understanding of your understanding of what you want the position to look like would help.

If this is for a plant's control system's engineer (my current role), I'd look at something like the following:

- Providing second line support to maintenance on problems with the plant.
- Provide input for potential capital investment projects in the plant.
- Manage obsolescence of control systems and related instruments in the plant.
- Specify and manage projects related to the control systems around the plant.
- Implement (and possibly create), audit and enforce cyber security policies around the plant.
- Assist with continuous improvement projects.
- Provide input for continuous improvement projects.
- Provide guidance and training to maintenance staff on control systems and best practices (this is something to hold him to account instead of having one guy creating a fiefdom).

I think there's more things in my job description and it will depend from manager to manager how to utilize the resource as well. Someone jumping from an SI is likely not going to be the best person to create projects from start to end independently and seek funding (though it's not that hard once we understand the other side cares only about $$$) and be more of a maintenance tech with a desk.

Cardosocea, hit the nail on the head, that's what is needed, the only thing I would add is I hope the broom sticks do not have sharp ends as it is painful doing the jobs while sweeping the floor:ROFLMAO: