1734-AENT module missing

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have a 1724-AENT adapter with a 1734-IR2 RTD module, I have the chassis configured for two slots. In RsNetwoks for Ethernet I/P I downloaded the configuration but once on line I receive a message that the IR2 is missing. In the web pages of the AENT I browsed the chassis and the IR2 appears in slot 6. Any help as to why this is happening?

RS-Online.jpg

My wild guess is that the 1734-IR2 module was used in another assembly and that it's still stuck at Node 06 on the PointBus (which is almost exactly DeviceNet).

The 1734-AENT is supposed to automagically number the POINT modules in their physical slot sequence but there might be conditions under which it can't.

Can you use RSNetworx for DeviceNet to browse the POINTBus and manually change the Slot number/Node Numeber of the IR2 module ?

Last edited:
Ken I have the module residing in a AENT module so I'm not sure if I can use RsNetWorx for D-net to browse the POINTBus

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP; only for ControlNet and DeviceNet.

You can in fact use RSNetwor for DeviceNet to browse the POINT bus, just like it was a DeviceNet ! This gives you access to all the EDS-defined parameters in the module, which you generally also have access to via RSLogix 5000.

I tried manually setting the slot number of one of my POINT modules to a higher slot; when I cycled power to the AENT it went right back to the correct one.

Does RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP let you send generic CIP messages ? This is the "Class Instance Attribute Editor" in RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

I'm thinking you might have to send a Reset to Defaults message to the IR2, or somehow trigger a Sequential Auto Address function.

Ken I tried RsNetworx for DeviceNet to browse the POINT bus I can’t establish communications thru Ethernet.
Does RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP let you send generic CIP messages ? This is the "Class Instance Attribute Editor" in RSNetworx for DeviceNet
Yes but I get a message returned comunication could not be established.

It doesn't surprise me that the SCIA editor won't connect to Slot 1, since the 1734-IR2 clearly is communicating as Slot 6.

I would try two methods:

1. Browse the POINTBus with RSNetworx for DeviceNet and see if the 1734-IR2 shows up as Node/Slot 6. Send it a "Reset" service with a source value of 1.

2. Use the embedded webserver (admin/password) to set the 1734-AENT for 7 slots, then browse with RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP to see if the 1734-IR shows up.

Is the 1734-IR new ? Is there a chance it was in an application where a messaging routine to a nonvolatile parameter wore out the NVRAM ?

Is the 1734-IR new ? Is there a chance it was in an application where a messaging routine to a nonvolatile parameter wore out the NVRAM ?
Ken this module is used pulled out of a decommissioned system was hoping to use it, I got a new one coming the following week. I appreciate your help and time, Thank You

Ken I decided to give it try with the Web Server and I set the chassis size to 7 then browsed in RsNetWorx and the module showed up in slot 7. I did the Reset with a value of one and now the module resided in slot 64. My question to you is what settings/values need to be set in the Class Instance Editor in order to set the modules slot to 1. Thanks Again

untitled.jpg

I just tried to download to network using RsNetwox Ethernet/IP with the following setup
Chassis size 2
Slot 2 IR2
I still get a message that the module is missing and the module (IR2) is in slot 63.
@Ken would the worn out NVRAM cause the issue with the slot assignment, or am I missing something else here. I'm thinking that after the reset the modules slot number could be assigned by RsNetwox