Win7-64 + 1784PKXT(DH+) + WonderWare(OPC) == ????

jgramlich

Here's the situation...I'm upgrading an old computer that had been running Windows 98 to Windows 7-64bit. I have no choice in the computer hardware...really no choice in any of the hardware. We are locked into using PLC-5 and DH+ from allen bradley.

I'm trying to use Windows XP Mode as a virtual machine running on the Win7 machine. The AB software doesn't much seem to care for 64 bit computers, and the Wonderware OPC server will not run on Win7.

The problem that I'm currently having is not being able to see the 1784pktx card inside the virtual machine. I've removed the card, removed rslinx...I'm updating the OS on the virtual machine (XP) with windows patches. I plan now to re-install rslinx (2.57) to see if I cant get it to see the pktx card.

Anyone out there done anything like this yet?

jgramlich said:
Here's the situation...I'm upgrading an old computer that had been running Windows 98 to Windows 7-64bit. I have no choice in the computer hardware...really no choice in any of the hardware. We are locked into using PLC-5 and DH+ from allen bradley.

I am pretty sure you will hit a brick wall with Windows 7 and the PCI card.

I think your best option would be to purchase a 1784-U2DHP which should be able to work in a virtual machine and allow access to the DH+ network.

I have no help for you with Wonderware, but others here may be able to offer advice.

Just a warning that I was able to make a 1784-U2DHP work in XP mode but could never make the XPmode computer automatically attach to it. It required manually attaching it. There may be a way that someone smarter was able to script it but I could not find any way. That makes auto starting and running Intouch difficult.
Another option might be an ethernet to DH+ bridge but the only one I every used (and it worked great) was with RSLinx. You would need to verify that it would work with your driver. If you are using RSLinx it should be OK. It was from DataLink Technologies. This was a couple of years ago so the model is likely replaced by something newer.

I'd opt to use a ControlLogix chassis with an ethernet card, and a DHRIO card. Use it as a bridge.

Then use the DASABCIP IO Server from WonderWare to communciate to the PLC5's.

The 1784-PKTX and 1784-PCMK cards are specifically not supported under Windows Vista or Windows 7.

And in general, virtual machines cannot directly access PCI or PCMCIA slots, which is what the drivers for every card of every type ever are built to do.

Rockwell Automation does not build those cards (it's actually been over 5 years since they were discontinued), or test them, or support them in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

The best way to get your software to work is to use the 1784-U2DHP on the native Windows 7 OS with RSLinx Classic Gateway 2.58, then run RSLinx Classic and the "Remote Devices via Linx Gateway" driver in your guest OS.

Last edited:
xp mode fail

XP mode just wont see the kt card at all so I'm going back to another try at Win7.

I've had no issues with the KT card in windows 7. RSLinx 2.57 provides drivers that seem to work just fine. I can connect and see the PLC from Linx just fine.

The problem that I'm coming up on now is the OPC server (wonderware version 7...very old) won't run. Top Server has been suggested and I'm trying MatrikonOPC right now. Updates soon...

I am surprised and pleased to hear that the drivers for the 1784-PKTX run correctly for you in Windows 7.

If Wonderware can use RSLinx Classic as an OPC server, you can run Wonderware in a VM, and just use Wonderware as a Remote OPC Client. You could even create a private IP network between the VM and the Host OS.

rslinx classic

I was under the impression that classic didn't come with an OPC server and that one must use a licensed version of enterprise or pro or whatever they call it for that...

RSLinx got the "Classic" name to distinguish it from RSLinx Enterprise, the data provider for FactoryTalk.

I believe that the editions of RSLinx Classic now are Lite, OEM Single Node, OEM, and Gateway. The old "Standard" and "Professional" licenses are no longer sold.

Only the highest-functionality license, RSLinx Classic Gateway, supports Remote OPC.

Edit: Don't be too confused by RA's use of adjectives; at least they don't just pile on the superlatives. My basic cell phone plan is called "Even More Plus".

I'd opt to use a ControlLogix chassis with an ethernet card, and a DHRIO card. Use it as a bridge.

Then use the DASABCIP IO Server from WonderWare to communciate to the PLC5's.

go for Oakley's advice...it's the most reliable.

Hardware is locked in

Just to reiterate my earlier post...replacing the PLC and/or moving off of DH+ is *not* an option. That would more than triple the project budget...which is not going to happen.

In theory I may be able to use 1784-U2DHP instead of the pktx cards...and possibly a non64bit version of Win7...options I would like to avoid but may be unavoidable.

Just to reiterate my earlier post...replacing the PLC and/or moving off of DH+ is *not* an option. That would more than triple the project budget...which is not going to happen.

In theory I may be able to use 1784-U2DHP instead of the pktx cards...and possibly a non64bit version of Win7...options I would like to avoid but may be unavoidable.

What I suggested is NOT replacing the PLC5 or DH+.

It IS a gateway solution that will get you Ethernet connectivity to DH+ highway, and therefore processors. This solution will mitigate the issues you are having attempting to set up DH+ on new hardware.

I have this solution for my DH+ connected processors.