What do you think about the NI brand and it's LabView?

Andreik

Good day,

Has anyone encountered the National Instruments brand which they claim their PAC and Labview is superior to PLC's? Can anyone explain some of its advantages?

Well, as far as my Job Applications in the field of Control & Automation is concerned, none so far has required experience with NI and I never really saw any control system utilizing NI. Though I think they're very popular with their PXI test/measurement systems.

Thanks,
Andrei K.

The product is outstanding. We are using it for some proprietary control applications that cannot be implemented in a PLC. The unit runs at very high speeds and has an excellent operating temperature range. Programming is somewhat unique using the graphical language. Working with the product definitely imparts a feel of computer application rather than PLC application - all of the terminology and processes are more computer program oriented.
The price of the software and hardware is OUTRAGEOUS:Y high.
Hope this helps.

The product is outstanding. We are using it for some proprietary control applications that cannot be implemented in a PLC. The unit runs at very high speeds and has an excellent operating temperature range. Programming is somewhat unique using the graphical language. Working with the product definitely imparts a feel of computer application rather than PLC application - all of the terminology and processes are more computer program oriented.
The price of the software and hardware is OUTRAGEOUS:Y high.
Hope this helps.

"proprietary control applications that cannot be implemented in a PLC"? Like?

The controls relate to electrical grid disturbances and the response time of the FPGA backplane of the NI device is the key to it's selection.
rmb

I haven't worked with LabView yet, but I have used LabWindows, which is basically the ANSI C version of LabView. It was used to control test benches for BLDC motors and drives. Its biggest advantage is the built-in drivers for talking to instruments like o-scopes and function generators over RS-232/GPIB. Made it easy to tell the instruments what to do and to log the results to the network.