REDLION G3 - USB Stopped working. Can't down load via Ethernet Either.

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

Brand new G308 (Just getting redy to ship out to the customer). Powered up Today and no longer can down load using USB.

1. Unable to open Comm port error.
2. Cannot access the Flash (ie. NO USB Connection)
3. Cannot download via Ethernet connection either. Same error as #1

Rebooted MyPC,
Re-Rebooted Redlion with all cabels disconnected.
Unit is talking with AB PLC via ethernet, Logging Data to Flash, and all other fucntions seems to be OK.

Why Can't I download via Ethernet? Everything is enabled in CRIMSON 3.0 software. Did several downloads and data extractions from Flash yesterday. Today "NO GO".

What Gives? Anyone had this issue before.

Also, the front panel's Green light is flashing.

Any suggestions on what to try. I really do not want to ship this out to get another one unless I absolutely have to.

Any way to boot the device so it can take a new Crimson Database in a flash card and load it in to the G3 as a temporary fix.

Thanks-

Last edited:
Green Light Flashing - Not an issue as it was a Tag that was in alarm.

How do I Make it boot from Flash using an image file?
I tried removing the CF card after the unit was powered down, then using a card reader, I saved the imagefile to the root from crimson and tried booting from the CF card. Unit just goes to the DB in memory and boots up within 5-6 seconds after a power cycle. I thought we could boot from a CF card.

I am running the latest Crimson software and the panel's DB was updated via USB yesterday. There's no USB functionality anylonger. Either to Update or read the CF card. Can't figure out why I cannot download directly via ethernet either.

I tried all combinations.....

Thru a Enet switch, Direct ethernet connection to the PANEL using both Straight thru and Crossover cables. Nothing has worked so far. Panel talks to PLC (AB) thru the same ethernet port w/o any problems.

Desperately need to update the DB in Panel.

Thanks again.

Green Light Flashing - Not an issue as it was a Tag that was in alarm.

How do I Make it boot from Flash using an image file?
I tried removing the CF card after the unit was powered down, then using a card reader, I saved the imagefile to the root from crimson and tried booting from the CF card. Unit just goes to the DB in memory and boots up within 5-6 seconds after a power cycle. I thought we could boot from a CF card.

I am running the latest Crimson software and the panel's DB was updated via USB yesterday. There's no USB functionality anylonger. Either to Update or read the CF card. Can't figure out why I cannot download directly via ethernet either.

I tried all combinations.....

Thru a Enet switch, Direct ethernet connection to the PANEL using both Straight thru and Crossover cables. Nothing has worked so far. Panel talks to PLC (AB) thru the same ethernet port w/o any problems.

Desperately need to update the DB in Panel.

Thanks again.

1. Go to File Menu in Crimson 3.0 and choose Save Image.
2. Save the file with the name image.ci3 to the root of the CF card.
3. Power down the G3xx
4. Insert the CF Card and Power Up

Jim

Thanks Jim,

You are a Life Saver!!!!

Part of my problem was my image file name was little too long (12 Chr). Does it have to be named "image" or can it be another name as long as it's 8 characters or less?

After rebooting with the image file I am now able to download via Ethernet as well.

USB is still out.

Had problems with Serial Programming port as well. (got one download to work, then changed my port settings, and it stopped working). But it is back to normal after the image re-load (what's normal on this panel I do not know). Details to follow once I get out of this mess that I am in at the moment.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

You are a Life Saver!!!!

Part of my problem was my image file name was little too long (12 Chr). Does it have to be named "image" or can it be another name as long as it's 8 characters or less?

After rebooting with the image file I am now able to download via Ethernet as well.

USB is still out.

Had problems with Serial Programming port as well. (got one download to work, then changed my port settings, and it stopped working). But it is back to normal after the image re-load (what's normal on this panel I do not know). Details to follow once I get out of this mess that I am in at the moment.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

It has to be named image.ci3

I'm not sure why you are still seeing USB problems. I've never lost USB comms when the display was not locked up except for the G315 when using a PC with an internal USB hub. And then you get a different message than you are reporting.