Redlion G3 - USB WebCam?

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone successfully linked a USB WebCam to Redlion G3 HMI (preferably using Crimson 3)?
o_O
If not, Is there any plans in the future, to create a driver to do so? (This is primarily aimed at any Redlion people).

The reason I am asking, is that we have started using Redlion G3 HMI (G306 & G310) in our Hydro-Electrical Control Systems and we often monitoring these sites remotely, and a lot of our customers are asking if it is possible, as they want to either monitor their turbines remotely, or be able to monitor the water intake, to see if it is getting blocked up or not.

It seems a shame that this excellent product does not have this facility for which there is such a demand.
🤞🏻

We did a proof of concept with an Ethernet webcam, but the JPEG decompression was too slow to get a decent update rate. I dare say we'd hit the same problem with a USB camera, but I don't know that for a fact. I'll ask our resident USB expert, but don't hold your breath about it getting implemented soon...

If I may ask the question:

What was the update rate that you did achieve using the Ethernet webcam?

Because what our customers are looking for general monitor of the status of things like the water intake, condition of which would change slowly. So a picture refresh rate of a few minutes would be quite acceptable.

Can't remember exactly, but it was better than that. A second or so, I think, on the G315 hardware, but that has a floating point coprocessor on it. And of course image sizes have gone up since then...

This would be very useful to have, even if the webcam option is limited the larger/more powerful HMIs (G310 or G315, as we can give this as an optional choice for the customer, i.e. if he wants a webcam on Intake, then he must opt for the larger HMI.

Plus it is our intention that our base standard HMI with our UK customers is to use the G310. Unless the customer wants to save money and go for the budget option of G306.

We did a proof of concept with an Ethernet webcam, but the JPEG decompression was too slow to get a decent update rate. I dare say we'd hit the same problem with a USB camera, but I don't know that for a fact. I'll ask our resident USB expert, but don't hold your breath about it getting implemented soon...

o_O
So is it possible with the current Crimson 3 software to display an Ethernet Webcam image.
Or was the 'concept' tested using unreleased code?

If it is doable, then how?

Marc_U,

It is not possible at this time to display the image with C3. The test Mike referred to would have been with test code.

Thanks
Jeremy

Marc_U,

It is not possible at this time to display the image with C3. The test Mike referred to would have been with test code.

Thanks
Jeremy

Pity, for even a slow refresh version of that would be extremely useful.

Plus as Mark- (of PeakHMI) hinted at leaves Redlion at a disadvantage when compared to some other HMIs.

Hi,

Shameless plug, PeakHMI can display camera images.

While not wanting to shoot down your "Shameless plug", but it looks like PeakHMI needs a PC computer to run on.

What we are need for our sites is a panel mounted operator interface (HMI) without resorting to a full blown PC (with the cost & reliability issues thereof).

Marc

Hi,

Many of our customers use panel mounted PCs, some are fan-less or without moving parts, some are running embedded XP, and some are in inhospitable locations.

The machines are only running the OS and our HMI and do not have software reliability issues. Some people might take issue with the last statement due to specific experience with some application(s). I am only speaking of our software and our customers. As to hardware reliability, we rarely hear of troubles. When it has happened it has been the screen or touch screen has failed.

I cannot speak to cost. That varies wildly with discounts, size of monitor, ram, touch screen, number of units purchased, etc.

One of the advantages of the PC/OS combination; on the rare occasion of failure the customer took a laptop laying around or a PC sitting in the corner and used it until a replacement unit could be ordered, shipped and installed, allowing production to continue, uninterrupted.