Setting up devicenet on SLC504

CliveBaker

HI All,

I have just set up a devicenet to FlexIO. the felx io contains IB18 IE8 OB8 and OE8. The digitals work fine (discrete addresses not M0/M1) however when I try the Analogue Input again discrete address I:4.3 using a ma Source the PLC does not read it. The 1747-SND card is in slot 4.

Have I missed somthing?

🍻
Clive

If you can post the *.DNT file from RSNetworx for DeviceNet, a Forum member who is very familiar with FLEX I/O and DeviceNet may be able to assist.

Data from FLEX I/O can be mapped anywhere in the Scanner by RSNetworx for DeviceNet, so it won't necessarily be right after the first Discrete Input module data.

It looks like the Scanlist has been "auto-mapped" at development time since the data is contiguous.
Personally, I avoid using the Auto-Map feature of RSNetworx for DNet (ON by Default??!!) since even it works fine with digital modules, it will introduce mapping errors especially when adding specialized modules such as Analog I/O.
1794-IE8/B needs NINE Read/Input words AND SEVEN Write/Output words (of contiguous space within the Scanlist. You will have to "write" the first Output word in order to configure the module depending of what kind of data is going to process.
Could you post the Output tab of your Scanlist?
What RSNetworx revision are you using? And what firmware the scanner carries?
Your 1747-SDN comes up as "not registered" on a PC running RSNetworx Rev.10.01 and Linx 2.58.

Out Put Tab AS requested. Sacnner is 1747 Rev D FW 9.001
DeviceNet Version 9.000 RSlinx v 2.50.
I had to use the latest EDS file which is embedded in the scanner. the IE8B is being used for 4-20ma

ADN_Output_TAB.png

Last edited:
We are still "talking" 1794-IE8/B Analog Input module...It has to be mapped within the Output tab as SIX contiguous 16 bit words the first one which is the Configuration word; the first OUTPUT word of the Analog Input module image has to be User written depending of the desired functionality.
It looks like the Output tab of your Scanlist doesn't have any allocated memory for the 1794-IE8/B module.
I couldn't find the FLEX I/O Analog Modules User Manual .pdf anywhere on RA's website....o_O
I will attach the relevant pages....

1794 FLEX Analog.jpg 1794 FLEX Analog 1.jpg 1794 FLEX Analog 2.jpg

Last edited:
I guess they've pulled the .pdf off their web site to cover up the "efficiency" of the 1794 Analog modules operated via DNet.
Using up six output words of scanlist/memory for an input module is not what I would call a high-tech approach...🔨

Six Output words for an Input module

That sounds like the words of a guy with a crammed-full I/O table !

The simplest way I know to configure an analog module is to put the Configuration data into the Output assembly and allow the user to manipulate it in ladder logic directly. That's what RA chose when they built the DeviceNet adapter for FLEX (only the second network for FLEX, which came out in 1996-ish).

The other options I can think of include making the Configuration a separate feature of the scanner, making it a feature of the RSNetworx software only, or requiring a DeviceNet Explicit Message.

If you were really short on Output data size, you could probably work around the problem by writing to the Output Assembly with an explicit message. It wouldn't be easy, but it would save some I/O room.

I usually place the seldom-used configuration data up in the M0 file memory for the SLC scanners, but it's been years since I did an SLC/DeviceNet/FLEX system from scratch.

User Manuals.

Maybe there was something funky in the search algorithm or the server when you looked, dmargineau. For pre-2000 documents sometimes the user manual keywords use the old "bulletin-number.number" format and sometimes the "bulletin-UM/IN/RN/AP/BR_Numbers_RevisionLetter" format.

I used the keywords "1794 analog user manual" and came up with both the non-isolated (including the 1794-IE8) FLEX Analog User Manual and the one for the Isolated modules (revised 2010).

Non-Isolated FLEX Analog Modules
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um002_-en-p.pdf

Isolated FLEX Analog Modules
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um008_-en-p.pdf