Language translation

daddys12

Good morning,
I am recieving some equipment from Mexico next month. I have already recieved the ladders from the and all of the descriptions are in Spanish. Is there an easy way to translate this to English in SLC 500?

I am also getting some equipment with GE 90 30 processors in it. I have no experience whatsoever with GE controllers. Any advice for dealing with them.

Thanks for your help.

It has been my experience that with language translations that are of a technical nature, it is best to find a bilingual person to help you with the translations.

You could export the database, and run it through Google Translate or Microsoft Translator, and see if that gets most of the basics done right. Often, we use jargon in our world that is translated incorrectly (if at all) by conventional methods.

I recently did the reverse, converted a Red Lion application from English into Spanish (automatically using their built in tools), but I haven't installed the system yet to find out from the Spanish speaking production operators whether it did a good enough job.

Also, you could try to hammer out some of them here if you need a technical person's help.

Es muy fácil, aprende hablar español. :D

Okie is right, you can try automatic translation or just grabbing a English/Spanish dictionary. Even if you learn to speak Spanish, the big problem is that much of the technical jargon doesn't translate well.

You probably tried but is there any chance that whoever wrote the code originally can provide a translation? The next suggestion would be to hire a technical translator.

I had to do this for a PLC we got from Italy. Much was easy, however, it seemed the more obscure the function the less likely we could find a simple translation. We even had some Italian speakers in the office (who weren't technical staff) and either they didn't understand the context or had difficulties in translating into English.

Unfortunately, the code was poorly written regardless of which language and the whole thing was scrapped in favor of rewriting it in-house.

I wound upusing google translate and got a pretty good idea of what everything was.
Thanks for all of the advice.
I agree with Google translate. Anyway, PM me if you need help with Spanish.

I can remember using Google translate when I was installing a machine in Poland, and they wanted all the displays in Polish.

There were quite a few chuckles when I arrived on site to commission, and the techs told me what things actually meant.

After that little escapade if I ever had to program a machine in a different language I always sent the tag list and the screens to either the customer for them to translate or paid for a technical translator.

Mark

Loosely translated, I think it was Gringo. :p

C'mon you're from Corona and no hables?
Of course I speak a little Spanish.
Yo Hablo Espanol tambien.
My Spanish is so bad, that it takes a really intelligent Spanish speaker to figure out what I am trying to say.

I have been working for a Hispanic employer for 5-1/2 years and the only Spanish I know is what I learned ten years ago: "Mas Cervezas, Por Favor" and "Gracias Amigo!"

I really need to learn more, so I can understand 2/3 of our radio calls and all the chatter in the break room better. Not to mention the fact that in one part of the city, the ATM machines default to Spanish and you have to look around for the English button.

I've found a combination yahoo's babelfish and google translate to be pretty good. What one site can't translate the other can and vica versa.

Some translations are best left to technical translators though. I remember translating a German program once and discovering (much to my amazement) that the reason the conveyor wouldn't run in the machine was because "there was a blockage at the railway station".

;-)

Oh yes - how about "Guard Closed" translated to Finnish as "Toilet Door Closed".....

...and we paid for the translations, engraved the panel, and shipped it to site !! :oops:

PS. Long before the days of Google, Yahoo, even the internet - i'd say my story was about 1970'ish

I can remember using Google translate when I was installing a machine in Poland, and they wanted all the displays in Polish.

There were quite a few chuckles when I arrived on site to commission, and the techs told me what things actually meant.

After that little escapade if I ever had to program a machine in a different language I always sent the tag list and the screens to either the customer for them to translate or paid for a technical translator.

Mark

If anyone needs Polish-English or English-Polish I might be able to help.
Tom

Oh yes - how about "Guard Closed" translated to Finnish as "Toilet Door Closed".....

It is "WC:n ovi suljettu" in Finnish, usually it is also locked "lukittu".

I finalising HMI-texts etc. with local operators :beer:when commissioning, not with technical people. My CAD-documents includes English and local languages if needed, my CAD do it automatically. 1'st it produce Ecxel table for all text, 1'st column in English and 2'nd for local.
Then some local people add local text and send Excel Table back to me, and I import it to CAD's database.

As You read my English, You understand why, I'm speaking only Finnish.