Siemens WinCC Comfort & Step7 Integrate?

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have Siemens "Step7 v5.5" for the PLC programming, and now bought "WinCC Comfort v11 SP2". to program a HMI, but I cannot seem to create the Tags that link to the PLC addresses.

Years ago, I use Step7 & ProTool, and they integrated into one program.

Any suggestions?? As I need an answer urgently.

P.S. I do not like Siemens software, and this is not improving that attitude.

The PLC is S7-315-2DP.

The HMI is MP127 (6AV6642-0EA0-13AX0)

And I intended to link them via the PLC X1 port (MPI).

So it is a Multipanel 177-6 Touch.

Then you have two options:

1. Define the connections manually, and the tags manually. A bit of a chore but certainly doable. Just avoid changing the declarations of DBs that you intend to link tags to. Append new addresses is OK, insert new addresses not OK.

2. Buy a WinCC Flexible 2008. Then you can integrate fully with STEP7 v5.5.

Another option could be to get STEP7 v11, but to my opinion this software is not 100% finished (opinions may vary).

Thanks for such a speedy response.

I will look into both those options.

🍻

While avoiding the STEP7 v11 route, I can't afford to loose time with questionable software.🔨

Qurious why you have chosen an MP177. Since you have WinCC v11, why not a swanky new TP700, which is better in every way and cheaper to boot ?

And I cant help to comment that I cringe whenever I see someone that start a new project based around MPI. MPI is dying fast. Think ethernet.

The simple answer regarding the MP177, is that it is ths customer's specification, and as the customer is a Water Company, everything bows down to the spec.

The only generous concession that they gave us, was that we could use only the 6-inch screen, rather than their normally complusary 10-inch screen.

I would have prefered to use the Redlion G3 HMI range.

I know that Ethernet is the up-and-coming network of choice. We have started using that for Compactlogix (Allen-Bradley) which is our PLC of choice (when we have one).

However the site ethernet network is not ours, but belongs Water Company, so I am reluctant to tap into it, plus I am at least familar with MPI/Profibus setup.

For future reference:
Don't mix machine networks with existing infrastructure.
At least not for ethernet.

When choosing for ethernet on future applications, either get an ethernet CP or a CPU with onboard ProfiNet. These come in single port or 2 port switch configurations. (up to 4 port when using S7-400's)
Quite easy to set up and you run the electrics the same way as MPI, from HMI to PLC.

DO NOT however, use off the shelf ethernet cables. Use industrial shielded ones.

For future reference:
Don't mix machine networks with existing infrastructure.
At least not for ethernet.

When choosing for ethernet on future applications, either get an ethernet CP or a CPU with onboard ProfiNet. These come in single port or 2 port switch configurations. (up to 4 port when using S7-400's)
Quite easy to set up and you run the electrics the same way as MPI, from HMI to PLC.

The problem is that with customers with existing networks that we deal with (such as large water companies), they will not allow us any interaction with their network, if they can help it.

In this particular case, the customer is running a branch of the site ethernet to the building with our equipment, so as to control/monitor it (i.e. control being little more than start/stop/reset).
We have had other such customers that insisted that we reverted to old-fashinoned volt-free contacts, & 4-20mA signals, rather than tie our PLC/HMI into their site network.