Control logix

Densam

Rockwell Automation upgrade versions of their software. Do we have to upgrade all the time this happens? And whats involved in all this. I am trying not to be caught unaware. Please help

No need to upgrade every time. Unless the new version corrects some issue that you have or introduces a new feature that you need.

Or to support a new OS that you're forced to use.

A/B does recommend keeping all version at the same "CPR" (coordinated public release?) level though we have mixed them at times without noticeable problems.

I hate to bring it up here, but for the Logix platform, there is Ethernet/IP vulnerability that was released, and they recommend upgrading to V20.

For Rockwell, your software has to be at a level that can be used with the firmware installed on a given PLC.

If the highest Rev your PLC is using is at say 16 for an RSLogix 5000 series PLC, then the version the software has to be at the same Rev in order for it to work with the PLC.

This applies to SLC5/05 PLC's as well.

You can't open a Rev 19 RSLogix ladder program with Rev 16 programming software. You'll have to upgrade the programming software to match the Rev used in the PLC.

I've been caught out a few times with this issue when we bring in new equipment using a PLC with firmware at a higher Rev than our plant software can handle. This forces us to upgrade to a higher Rev programming software package. And as usual, it an be costly depending on the licensing requirements.

Disclaimer: This reply is based on Rockwell programming products only. This requirement may differ depending on the make of PLC and software designed for it.

I've been caught out a few times with this issue when we bring in new equipment using a PLC with firmware at a higher Rev than our plant software can handle. This forces us to upgrade to a higher Rev programming software package. And as usual, it an be costly depending on the licensing requirements.

This has got me a few times too.