Auto Lube problem

Skiroy

Hey guys I am designing a Auto lube system which cant be atomized and muse use very low pressure(5-15PSI). I know this is a PLC forum but maybe someone has some ideas as far as the oil side of things. I first was going to prerssurize the oil tank with air and cut the air valve on and off to spray but the air pressure remains in the tank so then I was going to use a valve on the liquid side.

But the issue is pressurizing the tank. I cant find a tank that is small enough(1 gallon) in which has a top an bottom made of metal to run NPT fitting into,which can be pressurized and either have a clear bowl or looking glass for filling.

Additionally,there is the issue of turning off the pressure when the operator opens the cap to refill and of course the safety issue of themoppening a pressurized tank even though it would only be 5-10PSI.

I cant use a sphyon system because they mix air with the oil and atomize the oil which is a OSHA no no and those sytems I found harder to control the spray. The spray has to be a stream or just on the threshold of atomizing with big drop lets. I got that down to pushing oil (with water like viscosity) through a .020" orfice at 5PSI of air over the oil. It perfect but I cant figure out the other issues of using air or finding a tank.

Someone else suggested using a pump for the oil but I dont know where or what to look for as far as a pump for such small pressure/flow and how to incorporate it.

This is where you guys come in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Being specific and posting links is very much appreciated as I am entry level here without any hel on my end.

Thankx,
Colin

Colin,

Paint sprayers use low pressure, have tanks designed for pressure, have pumps designed for volatile and flammable mixtures. If you can't use the pump part, you still may be able to find a paint sprayer tank that would work. The "airless" type of paint sprayer may be what you need.

We did a machine a few years ago that included spraying a lubricant on the parts to help assembly. We used a pressure vessel from Alloy Products. They have a few 1 gallon units that might be good for your application. Look in the 'ASME/General Purpose Pressure Vessels" section.

http://www.alloyproductscorp.com/

The design prevents opening the lid when there is pressure in the tank.

🍻

-Eric

Hi,

This company supplies spraying systems worldwide.

One of our customers had two of their systems installed & didn't like their electrical controls.

We were hired to install a A-B PLC & PV+ to replace their control system.

You may be able to buy parts, such as pressure tanks from them.

Cheers
Ian

For just the tank, you might consider something like this. We use those on various spray application lines. Be sure to include a safety blowoff valve and a manual pressure release, on the air supply to charge them.

When you are actually spraying oil, how much and for how long?

Shawn
Thankx guys. I am spraying about .5 CCs for one sec. Just a single burst. Another thing I am concerned with is what will prevnt the oil(water like viscosity) from leaking out of the vertical mounted nozzle? I would assume the valve would be air tight and what if I include a check valve? I dont know much about fluid mechanics but it may be the ball valves I was using for thr prototype are not sealed nough but after I sprayed it still leaked after a little. I need this to be very controled so what the theory behind this?

I have a pesticide sprayer at my house which should be pretty darn close to the concept Im using. In fact it was my inspiration behind this project. But when I pull the trigger it spray and immediately stop and does not leak? This is what I need. So why is mine. Spraying,peeing then dripping. I know that doesnt sound right but it the best I can come up with.

For just the tank, you might consider something like this. We use those on various spray application lines. Be sure to include a safety blowoff valve and a manual pressure release, on the air supply to charge them.

I found this 3 way toggle that I can cut air and release pressure at one flip of a switch.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IN...cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

The operator will still be able to open under pressure if they forget to flip switch but if I get get this to work with 10PSi max it shouldnt be a safety issue. But I am going to look into those tanks that wont allow you to open under pressure.

But the question still remains why my nozzle leaks.I have to get this under control. I think I will call the company with the hand held and backpack sprayer to se there insight. I am also intrested that the sell a adjustable pattern nozzle for these sprayers as they might be small enough and control for the pattern I need.

But does anyone have any in sight on why my nozzle leaks while they sprayer cut any fluid off totally immediately after being sprayed?

Most Nozzles consist of a spring loaded ball (check valve)
this opens on the desired pressure range then closes.
you need to ask the manufactures

But the question still remains why my nozzle leaks?
It leaks simply because you have not yet found the correct best nozzle and control valve for the application. There are nozzles, then there are expensive precision spray heads with spring-loaded ball check valve, with the solenoid control valve located as close as possible to the spray head, so that there is a minimum amount of fluid left trapped in the line between the control valve and the spray head. This minimizes the amount of fluid that can leak out. For most oily fluids, the amount trapped in the line between the control valve and the spray head will eventuallly leak out, so plan for that. You could place a drip cup directly under the nozzle, so that the trapped fluid has a place to drip but still the sprayer will spray over the top of the cup under full pressure.

Last edited:
I cant use a sphyon system because they mix air with the oil and atomize the oil which is a OSHA no no and those sytems I found harder to control the spray.

Uh please quote where OSHA says you cannot atomize oil or flammable liquids using air. If that is true then all compressed air paint spray operations are OSHA verboten.

What kind of oil and what viscosity? What is ambient temperature?

I think you may be getting confused with not pressurizing 55 gal drums with air - that is bad business they will take the prsssure surprisingly but seem to bulge - maybe just not designed for pressure vessel.

You may wish to take a look at chemical injection pumps. Fairly low volume and you can adjust the time duration (I think??) and interval of each stroke on the better ones.

This may greatly simplify the challenge you are taking on. On other hand it will deny you a good learning experience.

You need to talk with an outfit that specializes in spray nozzles.

Dan Bentler