Auto assign IP address to IO-Link Master in chain

rabidplc

I have 32 masters in a linear topology network chain. I would prefer to use AL1xxx series from IFM. They do support device level ring if that would be useful. Any IO-Link Master could be used though.

The issue is we need anyone to be able to swap out any failed master with a replacement without connecting a laptop to configure it. This means the IP address will need to be assigned to it automatically so it will start communication with the PLC.

Nothing is specified yet as far as hardware goes. If I use any PLC, Network hardware, in panel PC, programming languages, scripts, ect. How could I do this?

Since you mentioned DLR, you can use Stratix DLR DHCP feature to assign address based on device position within the DLR.
For a star topology, you can use persistent DHCP per switch port.

Since you mentioned DLR, you can use Stratix DLR DHCP feature to assign address based on device position within the DLR.
For a star topology, you can use persistent DHCP per switch port.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Are there any other switches besides allen bradley that might do this?

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Are there any other switches besides allen bradley that might do this?
As far as I am aware, there are not that many DLR supervisor-capable switches in the market.
There is a Hirshmann product but I am not sure whether it supports the feature ContrConn mentions of being able to assign the IP address based on the position within the ring.
Just as a reference, Phoenix Contact had a product SW7000 with DLR supervisor capability and they discontinued that product line, but I have this product and no such sophisticated functionality is supported.
There is a Taiwanese vendor with a product called DVS-103I02C-DLR which according to the website supports DLR supervisor and DHCP server, but I see no mention of assignment of IP address by position within the ring.
I'm curious, is there a reason why you want an alternative supplier for this DLR supervisor product?

I use the IFM AL1xxxx quite a bit with Siemens s7-15xx plcs and comms via profinet. If you design the topology properly in TIA Portal the plc will send all the settings to the new master when replacing it.
But again I can only talk for profinet with s7-1500 plcs.

I'm curious, is there a reason why you want an alternative supplier for this DLR supervisor product?
I would like to create a product that isn't 1/3 cost in the network switch.

I use the IFM AL1xxxx quite a bit with Siemens s7-15xx plcs and comms via profinet. If you design the topology properly in TIA Portal the plc will send all the settings to the new master when replacing it.
But again I can only talk for profinet with s7-1500 plcs.

As far a I know, any ethernet/ip PLC will send the config when it opens communication. The hard part is getting the device swapped while automatically setting the IP address to the device.

I would like to create a product that isn't 1/3 cost in the network switch.

As far a I know, any ethernet/ip PLC will send the config when it opens communication. The hard part is getting the device swapped while automatically setting the IP address to the device.
Yes, and the only DRL supervisor capable switch which can also be a DHCP server that assigns IP addresses to MAC addresses detected on specific location in the ring seems to be the Stratix.
If the aim is to save cost, I am afraid it will only be possible by using static IP addresses, which means there is the need to write a procedure on how to assign IP addresses to a new armor block that is newly attached to the system.

This is my plan. I figured out how to use CIP messaging to set the IP automatically from the PLC.
Class 0xF5
Attribute 5
Instance 1
At least 22 8-bit elements in the instance

It will check for known connections and if any of them go missing then it will search for the default IP device connection. When it finds it, it will set the IP of that device to the IP of the missing device.

https://software-dl.ti.com/mcu-plus...pter/group___e_i___a_p_i___a_d_p___t_c_p.html

search for the default IP device connection
I am curious what is "default IP connection"? Are you saying that Device is getting some kind of AutoIP address if no DHCP server?
This is very rare for EIP devices.

What will happen if you are adding two devices at the same time - will both get the same AutoIP address?

How controller CIP message will reach that "default IP" if it ended up on a different subnet?

https://images.app.goo.gl/k4mR8E4RTXiBHpRDA
23:26
this is my plan. I figured out how to use cip messaging to set the ip automatically from the plc.
Class 0xf5
attribute 5
instance 1
at least 22 8-bit elements in the instance

it will check for known connections and if any of them go missing then it will search for the default ip device connection. When it finds it, it will set the ip of that device to the ip of the missing device.

https://software-dl.ti.com/mcu-plus...pter/group___e_i___a_p_i___a_d_p___t_c_p.html

Ok, I am not able to follow this properly. You are right it is possible to write a Logix program that can change the IP settings of an EtherNet/IP device through SetAttribute singe service to class ID 0xf5, instance ID 0x01, attribute 0x05. But you need the device's IP address, and as Contr_Conn explains, that IP address must be on the EtherNet/IP scanner interface IP settings subnet.
I can't understand what you mean by " default ip device connection".

I think it may be easier to write a procedure on how to statically set the IP address of the device with the Rockwell DHCP/BOOT tool which is included in the RXLinx package, and provide a table for the IP address to which the armour block/s IP settings has to be programmed with the Rockwell tool according to the position of the device in the DLR ring.
That way you only need a plain-vanilla no-thrills (no DHCP server function) DLR supervisor such as the Rockwell ETAP.

I am curious what is "default IP connection"? Are you saying that Device is getting some kind of AutoIP address if no DHCP server?
This is very rare for EIP devices.

What will happen if you are adding two devices at the same time - will both get the same AutoIP address?

How controller CIP message will reach that "default IP" if it ended up on a different subnet?

I would have to pre-configure spare devices with a static IP address that I specify or use the default IP that the device comes with such as 192.168.1.250 and it would have to be on the subnet we use.

There will be a device setup in the PLC with that address. When it comes online, the code with see the online bit and write a new address to it. Hopefully two devices aren't replaced at once. There may need to be a menu on the HMI for device replacement. Select which device is being replaced, Install device, confirm replacement... ect

I also found Turck BEEP. It claims to isolate a chain of devices and keep their configurations. It re-maps them into one data structure and can do device replacement via DHCP. The PLC connects to it and not the chain of devices.

I also found Turck BEEP. It claims to isolate a chain of devices and keep their configurations. It re-maps them into one data structure and can do device replacement via DHCP. The PLC connects to it and not the chain of devices.

Never heard of this product. Could you share the link for the data sheet?

I would have to pre-configure spare devices with a static IP address that I specify or use the default IP that the device comes with such as 192.168.1.250 and it would have to be on the subnet we use.
OK, so if this rule is in place, the end-user has to setup the static IP address of the device to the customer specific default setting. This should work.

There will be a device setup in the PLC with that address. When it comes online, the code with see the online bit and write a new address to it. Hopefully two devices aren't replaced at once. There may need to be a menu on the HMI for device replacement. Select which device is being replaced, Install device, confirm replacement... ect
If more than one device needs to be replaced, then there should be a rule such as replacing them one-by one in the clock-wise direction of the ring and confirm the IP setting has been completed before adding the next otherwise you risk having the wrong assingment and your IO map will be messed-up.