Social Engineering for Tech Support

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been in this Industry since 1990, and am at least smart enough to know that I don't know.

After reading "Ghost in the Wires" (awesome read in two days book by the way) and how the happy ending of ethical hacking couldn't somehow justify my ethical tech support social engineering.

thoughts?

What I mean by this is...

I can't afford the huge support contracts from Schneider or Allen Bradley since I am a freelancer.

I need to get support somehow.

I have been in this Industry since 1990, and am at least smart enough to know that I don't know.

After reading "Ghost in the Wires" (awesome read in two days book by the way) and how the happy ending of ethical hacking couldn't somehow justify my ethical tech support social engineering.

thoughts?

I've read this question 5 times now and I'm still struggling to understand what you are asking?

Would it be possible to clarify for us slow people who have only had 1 cup of coffee today?

Thank you ;-)

Question:

How much trouble can I get in, using social engineering tactics (i.e. conning people) to gain tech support from these big companies.

I.E. Schneider Electric found out that I no longer work for my former employer and canceled my eclipse account.

This means that I couldn't even look up answers to things that I knew they had already written tech notes on. Like, what dip switch 4 does on the Magelis Screen.

What are the ethical opinions. i.e. I am still buying their hardware and don't see the benefit of leaving the end customer screwed.

Question:

How much trouble can I get in, using social engineering tactics (i.e. conning people) to gain tech support from these big companies..

None. You are not breaking any criminal or civil law. The worst that will happen is that they will cancel your account ala Schneider.

Perhaps if you had access to a 'technical site' it might be worth downloading the site whilst you have access so you can browse 'offline' after your support contract lapses.

Do you work for yourself or a company? Are you a integrator or a manufacturing plant?

If you are a integrator I can understand your pain but if you work for a manufacturing company then I don't see it. It is just one of the many costs of doing buisness.

AB contracts and support are on the expensive side IMHO but on the other hand I have always been able to get problems resolved using the service that saved time which equals money.

My previous employer had issue paying for a AB contract also but griped about issues that were hard to resolve without the contract.

It gripes me when companies complain and won't buy the support contract they need but have no problem providing company cars for all management and being top heavy as heck or just spending on stupid things that are not really needed but griping about spending for things they do need.

If it were me and I could not get what I ned to do my job I would take it to the top of the food chain so to speak and if the top guy of the company does not want to get what you need make sure your request to him is in writing also.

When they have downtime and lost produtiion because of it remind them of this.

I am a 1 person company just trying to pay the rent and stay out of jail by trying to pay my child support. In fact, the job I am on right now, my former employer walked away from and refuses to support the customer. I am on site to try to help them. Yesterday I lost my eclipse account because they ratted me out to Schneider.

Last night I was able to figure out from the eclipse website that I need to set dip switch 4 to ON to bypass the broken door hinge sensor on the HMI. Let's just say I didn't get this info w/ my login credentials.

I can't afford the huge support contracts from Schneider or Allen Bradley since I am a freelancer.

This is again a cost of doing buisness and should be a part of your buisness plan. I mean zero disrespect but his statement maks me think your buisness plan is flawed as this is almost a must have to support AB products.

You may want to charge more to cover this or a adder for AB work / support.

I work for a manufactring company but also do some small projects for several customers. I have my own contract for this and I do not use my companies contract. I have a contract and only do this her and there as I work Full time and go to college full time also.

Most days I have trouble having enough money to buy a coke so if I can find a way to afford it anyone can IMHO.

This may sound harsh, but typically all the information you need for support is in the manuals.
Not sure about Schneider, but Rockwell manuals can be downloaded.
I say this from experience. Been in tech support for over 17 years. Just my opinion.

Just curios but what is you bill out rate?

You are close enough to me that it should be close to the same average. Here it is from 100.00-150.00 per hour on average.

I charge 90.00 per hour and have more people asking me to work than I could ever do. I tun things down everyday.

@ 90.00 I am pretty much the cheapest guy around these parts.

I would say if you are less than 80.00 then you are getting ripped off.

This may sound harsh, but typically all the information you need for support is in the manuals.
Not sure about Schneider, but Rockwell manuals can be downloaded.
I say this from experience. Been in tech support for over 17 years. Just my opinion.

I would agree that this is a correct statement about 90% of the time but it is that other 10% that bites you in the a&$

There have been many problems that I have come across that are not in the manuals. I can also show you many thing in many ab and siemens manuals that are dead wrong and have been that way for years and I have not been doing this that many years.

If you don't want to buy support, or can't afford it being the one man show, then have the customer whom you are supporting buy it...ultimately they will win for giving you access to information you need now, and them in the future.

I have no idea about Shneider, but AB tech support is about $100/mo for 24/7 (even though the few people that seem to know anything work from 8-5).