1769-HSC pulse accum help

vin7102

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is for a ML1500 with a 1769-HSC card. I have a pulse flow meter that works great with the built in HSC function of the 1500 but I have 4 of these meters and need to use a HSC card for more inputs.

In my ladder logic, I use HSC:0.ACC to get pulse values from the flow meter, I have gone over the AB manual on the counter card and I can see the counter input "A0" LED flashing respectfully to the flow, Can someone give me a little hand on getting these pulses into my logic? It shows that .ACC is not valid? I dont know.

Thanks a lot.

Do a little more careful read of the manual note section D - Programming Quick Reference, Input Array.

Since the counts are 32 bit values create a 'Long' type data file, let's say L9. Use a CPW instruction

CPW #I:1.4 #L9:0 1

To copy the first counter's accumulated value, which is is input words 4 and 5 (from a module in slot 1) to L9:0

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie, Still stuck, I think I either have something really messed up or the used card I just bought is bad, Here is what I have so far, the card is in slot 2 and my flow meter is wired to A0. My IO config for the card is set for just one counter (to keep it simple). When I run the flow meter I get A0 input led light blinking fast but the only movement I see in the input data files is I:2/0 switching back and fourth from 0 to 1. Then I:2/37 - I:2/39 set to (1) and I:2/48 - I:2/63 also set to (1). Im still trying ideas mentioned here and in the manual, Thanks for the thoughts!

What TYPE of counter did you set up? If only one input (A) then don't use quadrature (X1 - X4)

Make sure to set the Enable bit (O:2.5/0) for that counter.

Look at I:2.4 (and 5 if the count gets really big) for the actual count.

Well Got it working.
To answer Bernie's questions, Just a single input counter using Pulse Internal Dir (operation mode).

I think I may have found a couple culprits, one of them being that I didnt have a jumper to the A0- from my PLC's power source.

Then I reset the entire IO configuration for the PLC. After doing both at one time, I started to read values in I:2.4

@Bernie, you weren't kidding about being at the end of sec. 5, It is the very last line in the section.

"You can also use a CPW instruction to monitor 32-bit values via ladder logic"

Thank you very much for your help, it was fun..