Concept to Unity ?

bluenoser337

My knowledge of Modicon and its software is about the same as my knowledge of the cast of Glee, therefore I need assistance. I have worked with AB and Siemens products for almost 30 years. Now I have a couple jobs to do on existing Momentum systems. They were programmed in Concept (2.6 I think) and the software is available on-site, complete with documented programs. From what I've seen, Concept is rather "weird" compared to most PLC software (especially the newer stuff). It has been suggested that we upgrade to Unity. Is Unity compatible with programs written in Concept, or is there a laborious upgrade process. Also, is Unity more like other modern PLC software? Any info or thoughts greatly appreciated!!

Concept is not weird, it is unique. Just like allen bradly or siemens. It was possibly the first package to fully implement all the IEC languages. The latest S7 and RSLogix 5000 resemble it in that they all use IEC standard programming and structures.
As for upgrading, if it is only minor then probably stick with Concept. You would probably not find it difficult at all. If you are doing a major upgrade or need to use a new processor not supported by Concept, then that would probably be the time to upgrade to Unity.

Upgrading from Concept to Unity is not supposed to be hard, but there is always something that could bite.

No offense, Doug, but I also think Concept is wierd. I found Unity much simpler to use, was true 32 bit, didn't need to load a separate package to edit blocks, has a more useable online monitoring function, and so on.

Bluenoser, Doug is right, though. If it is a case of cleaning up a couple of rungs then don't bother with the update. If it is more extensive then it might be worth the trouble to go to Unity. Our distributor offered assistance in some program conversion from Concept to Unity, and that made it fairly simple. There is still the prospect of testing the entire program, though, just to make sure.

Thanks Doug...You are correct that it is unique. I just need to learn Concept, I guess. :unsure: I have to do changes dealing with PID controls and existing communications via UHF radio modem. I'm sticking to the "weird" description though, when it comes to the colour coding of elements during online monitoring.o_O
Thanks also to Tom!

Last edited:
Actually, Concept 2.0 was the first package I worked with for an extensive period. So for me it is default.
I haven't used it for a decade now, and have not yet used Unity, although I have just loaded up Unity on my PC ready for my next job.
When I first started using Concept I found it relatively easy to pickup, and the built is simulator made it vary easy for me as a novice at that time.
I will probably be comparing Unity and Concept in a live job in a couple of weeks, so I get to see how good my memory is then.