Suggestion on building a plc training station.

fredz0003

Hi everyone, I am looking to build plc training station, I was looking at unitronics plc/hmi combo, and well obviously buttons, and lights for the outputs, what other good components could a good plc training station should have? <--This is at home project.

I do have experience in electricity, just trying to get into the plc side.

Also I'm going to talk to our Master Tech about putting a training station to play around with powerflex modyfing settings over the network, and wiring up to a conveyor we have, our plc training station has compactlogix, has anyone have a good setup print for this kind of setup?

If you really want to learn PLC's, then you can buy one already made up.
PLCTrainer.
At least you know everything works.
On the other hand, building your own will be a valuable lesson in itself.
Good Luck!

PLCTrainer.

The problem with buying one, is that they are way overpriced in my opinion.

The micrologix trainer for 289 seems to be a good price, but then they added an analog readout display and is almost 900, analog meter don't cost that much. Thanks for the links.

Last edited:
training vs experience

If you just want training there are many options including online courses.
If you want hands-on experience you need some hardware.
A simple project or semi-practical application also helps vs. just assembling buttons and lights.

So, setting aside the buy versus build discussion.....your original question of what else should I include......

I am not familiar with Unitronics, but I would say that some form of remote I/O, even just a few points would be a good think to include. If ethernet is part of the hardware then include an enet switch.

If this were intended to be portable, I would include a power strip.

OG

The problem with buying one, is that they are way overpriced in my opinion.

The micrologix trainer for 289 seems to be a good price, but then they added an analog readout display and is almost 900, analog meter don't cost that much. Thanks for the links.

Well thats the first time I heard that one... the list price for the 1761-L20BWA-5A (Analog MicroLogix) is 800.00, yes we get a small break in the price but if you look at it like that our profit margin is larger on the MicroLogix without the Analog

You can check AB list prices here http://www.rockwellautomation.com/en/e-tools/

PLCTrainer.
At least you know everything works.
On the other hand, building your own will be a valuable lesson in itself.
Good Luck!

Thanks George...

@ The OP

You mention having AB stuff at work but looking to build on a unitronics platform.

I have never used unitronics so I assume it is good stuff but if I used ab at work that is the type of trainer I would be trying to make.

I can show you 50 job ad's that want plc exp within 50 miles of me and none of them have unitronics as a requirement but mostly all of them want siemens or ab exp if not both.

Just food for thought.

Also I would not be trying to buy new or the the most up to date gear.

Try ebay. I buy for low budget side jobs all the time and never had a bad experience to date.

Shoot for compacr logix if on a budget. The lessons you gain form it work on contrologix until you get into very advanced things which mostly involve additional equipment anyway.

@plc kid the only reason why I was looking at unitronics was because is a Plc with hmi combo, but I see I good point that I should concentrate on Allen Bradley hell our 200 question test had like 30 questions related to Allen Bradley. So I will be shopping for Allen Bradley instead.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and opinions.

A simple project or semi-practical application also helps vs. just assembling buttons and lights
would wiring an old washing machine with a plc constitute a semi practical application? or like what other practical applications do you have in mind?

would wiring an old washing machine with a plc constitute a semi practical application? or like what other practical applications do you have in mind?
Any project that gets you to learn the structure of design and programing is worth while.

simple project

I didn't have anything particular in mind.
There is another thread about a PLC controlled sprinkler system though.

I didn't have anything particular in mind.
There is another thread about a PLC controlled sprinkler system though.

Yes that also came up on my ideas, well I just need to set my mind on a good project and so I can build a supply list, thanks a lot for the help.