Legacy Serial Comms

PeterW

Don't you love old system, looking to replace a SCADA system that communicate's to field equipment that goes back to the 70's.

Anyone ever heard of ESSO protocol? Created by Imperial Oil (ESSO) to link their RTU's to a central system.

or a company called TRW (S-70) that also used its own protocol's, these beauties have plates which tell me they are model 7000's manufactured in July 1973.

I'd love to dig up some of the original engineers, but something tells me it would be literal!

The ESSO protocal may be a modbus offshoot. Try sticking a modbus debugger inline and see if you can make sense of the data?

OT, perhaps

Don't you love old system, looking to replace a SCADA system that communicate's to field equipment that goes back to the 70's.

Anyone ever heard of ESSO protocol? Created by Imperial Oil (ESSO) to link their RTU's to a central system.

or a company called TRW (S-70) that also used its own protocol's, these beauties have plates which tell me they are model 7000's manufactured in July 1973.

I'd love to dig up some of the original engineers, but something tells me it would be literal!

This might be OT, but, if you are really trying to _replace_ something, why would you keep the one thing that really needs replacing? I've seen this stubbornness in a variety of industries, and I still can't figure it out. It almost begs to become two projects: The first one is the one they can afford, while the second one is the one they need.
Unfortunately, this is more common as time goes on, and I'll never understand it.

This might be OT, but, if you are really trying to _replace_ something, why would you keep the one thing that really needs replacing? I've seen this stubbornness in a variety of industries, and I still can't figure it out. It almost begs to become two projects: The first one is the one they can afford, while the second one is the one they need.
Unfortunately, this is more common as time goes on, and I'll never understand it.

Mainly because they would need to replace almost 700 RTU's. A bit of a
show-stopper that. :cry:

These can be replaced as and when they need or on a rolling timescale once the central hub (SCADA) has been updated.