Continuous Sequence Batch Fill

DaMaXMaN

Hello again,

I'm working on adding a continuous run mode to my logic when the selector switch is set to "B". I need it to still require the START button in order to initiate.

Additionally, I need to have the FULL LIGHT flash while the tank is emptying, what would be the best way to go about adding this feature?

-Max
LadderRungs.jpg

DaMaxMan,

You sort of went backwards. If you ignore suggestions, then do not be surprised if you later have problems. For example, you changed your Run Light up, and now you really need it like it was (even though you don't realize that you do).

I have went to some trouble to fix the previously fixed problems so that I could then fix your latest problems. Then on the next exercise, you can fix everything AGAIN because your basic structure is FLAWED**! Let me know when you want to know the correct method.

** For example, when Stop is pressed during the Mix Cycle, your Mix Timer keeps running! This is a basic student error, easily solve by using a RTO timer.

Last edited:
DaMaxMan,

You sort of went backwards. If you ignore suggestions, then do not be surprised if you later have problems. For example, you changed your Run Light up, and now you really need it like it was (even though you don't realize that you do).

I have went to some trouble to fix the previously fixed problems so that I could then fix your latest problems. Then on the next exercise, you can fix everything AGAIN because your basic structure is FLAWED**! Let me know when you want to know the correct method.

** For example, when Stop is pressed during the Mix Cycle, your Mix Timer keeps running! This is a basic student error, easily solve by using a RTO timer.

I had posted this this morning, before you had made the suggestions on the other thread.

Works beautifully, and thank you VERY much for your time and effort...and most importantly, your patience with my logic ignorance. =P

One quick question though, what is the S:4/5 contact? I've never seen one, let alone used one before, so I'm curious as to what it is, and how you got it to flash as it does.

Thanks again,

-Max

Works beautifully, and thank you VERY much for your time and effort...and most importantly, your patience with my logic ignorance. =P

One quick question though, what is the S:4/5 contact? I've never seen one, let alone used one before, so I'm curious as to what it is, and how you got it to flash as it does.

Thanks again,

-Max
The flasher contact S:4/5 is built in to the software as part of a free running clock. It has different bits for different on-off periods. The S:4/5 bit is approximately on .5 seconds, then off .5 seconds, then repeats.

Works beautifully
Thanks, but it really doesn't work correctly, merely fills and drains the tank! You have not found the flaws yet! I did not fix any except the ones necessary to add the selector switches.

(1) You said earlier that the mixer is supposed to start when Pump 2 starts. What if the Setpoint for Pump 2 = 0 (Pump 2 does not need to run)? Then your mixer would never run either. I suppose with only one ingredient, your instructor is thinking that the mixer would not need to run. There is another element that may be overlooked, the heat. The mixer may be needed to evenly distribute the heat throughout the tank. In which case the mixer probably needs to run regardless of what Pump 2 does!

(2)What other hare-brained schemes has your instructor laid on you? Without knowing these deviations from the LogixPro Batch Mix Exercise, it will be impossible for me to help you get it correct. However, it sounds like you could probably get away with just about any old program that fills and drains the tank.

(3) How much is Pump 1 supposed to pump, and how much is Pump 2 supposed to pump, according to your instructor? For the LogixPro Student Exercises, these are supposed to be set with Input I:3. I see that you have a bad error where you used bit B3:5/1 when you should have used the entire word B3:5.

PS: It saves a lot of confusion if you put your posts on the same subject on the same thread. Then we don't have to do a search to find out if you have added another thread to ask your next question about the same program.

Last edited:
Here is what was required via the assignment:

First section:
When START is pressed, PUMP1 adds 100 units of product 1 to tank. It then fills the tank with product 2 until the HI-LEVEL sensor is actuated.
Start the mixer when product 2 is being added
When tank is full, continue mixing while heating contents to thermostat set point.
When mixture reaches set point, turn off heater, and pump out the contents of the tank with pump3
The START button must be pressed again to start another cycle
Stop button can be used to interrupt operation, and continue operation by pressing START button again.

Second Section:
Use thumbwheel switch to set quantity of product 1 to add to tank
Value change will only be accepted while process is idle and ENTER is pressed
When START is pressed, operate pump1 to add set quantity of product 1 to the tank. Then fill the tank with product 2 until the HI-LEVEL sensor is actuated.
Start mixer while product 2 is being added
When tank is full, continue mixing while heating contents to thermostat set point.
When mixture reaches set point, continue mixing for 5 seconds, and then turn off the mixer, and pump out all of the contents of the tank with pump 3.
Heater should not come on while pumping out.
Cycle will repeat continuously if selector switch is set to "B"
Stop button can be used to interrupt operation, and continue operation by pressing START button again.
Full light will flash while tank is emptying.

There are also 3 more degrees of difficulty which I plan to get into if time permits. As for now though, I hope this helps you understand where I'm at and why I got there.

While I'm here, I'll post the requirements for the 3rd section

Third Section:
Same as second level, plus:
digital display will show current volume in tank, while filling and emptying.
If thumbwheel is set below 50, amount of 50 will be used
If thumbwheel is set above 250, amount 250 will be used
If selector position "A" is selected, only one batch will be processed when START is pressed. (START button will need to be pressed to start another cycle)
If selector position B(or C) is selected, continuous batches will be processed when start is pressed.
In either mode, if process is idle, and tank is not empty, press STOP to purge tank.

I suspect that the instructor altered the requirements due to a large amount of people in my class who like to cheat, and they were likely able to obtain the last assignment via the internet. Just my suspicion...personally, I enjoy the challenge. Just wish I didn't have to study and write final exams at the same time. =/

Anywho, as usual, thanks in advance,

-Max

Max,

I see where you are at - doing an assignment from an overworked instructor! What a challenge! If you can do this witout loosing your hair, you can write nearly any program.

Start mixer while product 2 is being added.

Therefore, because Product 2 can = 0 at times (when Product 1 is set for 307 in the Sections 2 and 3 problems), the mixer will not run at all in some cases. But that is what the specifications say, so that is what you do, but maybe in the meantime ask the question "Do you reallly want the mixer to NOT run when Pump 1 is set to run until Flowmeter 1 = 307"?

Heater should not come on while pumping out.

If you are mixing asphalt paint, tar, or lots of other mixtures, then the mixture will solidify while the tank is draining, the pump will seize up, a fire will start and burn down the plant. Normally for a real batch process with heated materials, the heater would be left on until the mixture is just above the top of the heating element (or in this case because we don't know where that is, until the tank level is approximately 5% of full level, or 15). By the same reasoning, the heater should be turned on (controlled by thermostat) when the tank is filling and reaches a level of 15.

Another amazing fact is that these over-worked instructors NEVER tell students in these problems what to set the temperature level to heat the ingredients. So it remains at the default of 32 degrees (freezing water if F, or slightly above room temperature if C). How likely is that to ever work?

When START is pressed, operate pump 1 to add set quantity of product 1 to the tank. Then fill the tank with product 2 until the HI-LEVEL sensor is actuated.

The true LogixPro Exercise calls for a real-world scenario where each pump is controlled by a flowmeter and flowmeter setpoint. With an actual recipe for a real batch mixing operation, it is unlikely that you would ever have a case where you had flowmeters and did not use them, but instead just added an ingredient until the tank was full. Level switches give an approximate indication of the level, but are not very accurate when you are trying to mix something precisely. Would you like to buy some cough syrup where the last ingredient was not measured in gallons, liters, or cubic centimeters, but instead just added "until the tank gets full", somewhere around there about? In most cases, the tank CAN NOT be completely full if there is a mixing operation, otherwise the liquid will be splashed out. Usually the tank must be only 90% full. The level switch in this case should only be used to prevent the tank from overfilling, not as an indicator of how much ingredient has been added.

Other than that, the rest should be doable. Here is a version with some additional improvements for the first two Sections. Run it and you will see that the mixer never runs, even though it is being triggered by Pump 2.

Last edited:
Max,

Compare this version for the Third Section to your copy. It seems to perform all required functions, plus cleans up the Pump 2 "Catch 22" paradox created by your instructor.