creating passwords in factory talk

realolman

We had a panelview plus 1000 get damaged and I replaced it with one into which I had downloaded the mer file that the equipment factory rep left here for just such an occasion. It did not work, so I took the apa file that he also left here and made it into a runtime file.

Trying to keep a long story short(er), I don't know how to set a password for the new user I added in Runtime Security. the new user is "maintenance" and has access to all the screens. In the original apa file, "Default" had access to all but A and B.

There is also another user that has about a 25 digit hexidecimal name. I don't know where that came from... It also has access to all screens.

I can't figure out how to set or change a password for maintenance.
this is version 6.0 FT and the mer file was a 5.1. when I made the runtime file I had to save it to 5.1.

I couldn't figure it out, and the line was already down a good while, so I gave "default" access to everything, and it is running now... but I don't want to let it that way. Everyone should not have access to everything.

SO how do I create a password for the "maintenance" user? I found a "users" folders in which I can set the properties but it won't let me change the password to what I want because it has been used before. ???? what the heck's with that?

If I change the password about 15 or 20 times will it allow me to use the original one again? the answer to that is yes.

thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

For some bizarre reason, there seems to have historically always been some sort of issue when copy/migrating/upgrading FT applications and their security accounts?! šŸ™ƒ

If you know the credentials of the user account you need to re-instate, just create a new user (see image1) and ADD it to the runtime security settings (image2).

Others may approach it differently, but it works for us! Also, we normally just delete the user that has the hex characters...

Hope this helps,

Rob

FT_Security1.png FT_Security2.jpg