AB RIO, am I on the right track?

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
hi guys, I have a question regarding AB RIO, basically just wanna know if what I'm thinking in my head is how it will actually work. I have a drawing attached of the configuration I want to achieve. Currently the 3 PLC's are networked via DH-485 and each have there own SLC 5/03. We want to go to only one processor and just use remote IO, hopefully like I have shown. I just wanna double check that the I/O addressing I have shown is correct and such.

I know it will depend on how I set it up, will I be able to set it up the way its shown? The only parts I should need are the scanner and 2 adapter modules plus the wire correct?

rio.jpg

You only have 30 slots.

If your PLCs are in the same panel, you can use the rack expansion ports (on the right side of the PLC) and spare yourself the extra modules. All you'll need is a couple of fancy cables (or some cable-making tools).

You won't be able to add any additional racks this way, but it looks like you've still got lots of spares.

The addressing will be the same (in this case) as if you had a 30 slot rack.

AK

Last edited:
Yes, you are thinking about it correctly, assuming you have the 1st ASB set as logical rack 0 and the 2nd ASB as logical rack 1.
Hoever, keep in mind you will most likely take a pretty serious scan time spanking by moving all the processing requirements to one plc.

Keith

hd_coop said:
I just wanna double check that the I/O addressing I have shown is correct and such.

Looks ok, but I'm not sure you can leave those empty slots in the first remote rack. You might need to shift those modules to the left.

I know it will depend on how I set it up, will I be able to set it up the way its shown?

Again, that looks ok. I haven't used the 1747-ASB before, but I've used the FlexI/O version.

The only parts I should need are the scanner and 2 adapter modules plus the wire correct?

Resistors, too. They're not extremely important, though.
The Scanner series might matter (A or B). I think B is the more flexible version.

Akreel, these PLCS are not all in the same panel, they are each in there own. My boss originally wanted to replace these with Flex I/O and after I had started reading through some manuals (this is my first experience with remote I/O) I found an example doing it this way which would be much better since we don't have to buy nearly as much hardware and much less re-wiring.

does anybody know for sure whether I will have to move the cards in the first remote rack over or not?

Keith is correct; your diagram with addressing is exactly right for the two remote chassis addressed as Rack 00 and Rack 01.

You do not have to move any modules around; you're "wasting" a few words in the I/O table but this system is half of what the 1747-SN can handle so that's not a problem.

I'd worry more about whether or not your SLC-5/03 can handle the programs from all three controllers consolidated into one.