S7 download

I am very new to Siemens S7. I am using a simatic net profibus card 6gk1551-2aa00 cp5512 w/ C79459-a1890-a10 and a profibus cable. when connecting from laptop to cpu 416-2. My question is do I need to do anything special to communicate and download the project with the configuration. Do I need to compile and download objects or just download? How do I know if I am communicating properly? Any advice would be appriciated.

Thank you

It is factory fresh. I have configured all hardware and the program is written. Up until this point i have only made additions to the current programs we have in the plant. I have worked with A/B for quite some time now but am new to Siemens. I have communicated to A/B processors in multiple ways but have not had to deal with profinet up until this point. Just trying to get some info so im not wasting time trying to connect. Thank you and any tips would help greatly.

For a factory fresh S7 the 1st step is to download the HW Config.
The X1 port can be setup to MPI or DP, but from the factory it will be setup to MPI with address 2.
The X2 port is set to "not connected" when delivered so you cant use that for the initial setup.
You should set your CP5512 to MPI and default address 0. After you have downloaded the HW Config via the X1 port, and depending on how X1 and X2 are setup, you can switch to Profibus and higher baudrates.

When that is done, you can download the program blocks.

I have communicated to A/B processors in multiple ways but have not had to deal with profinet up until this point.
Do you mean Profinet or Profibus ?
If it is a PN CPU or there is a CP443-1 in the rack, then forget about MPI or Profibus. Ethernet is far far better and easier.