Step 7 Native TCP/IP comms

Hellllllpppppppp! :eek:
I have a small problem with Step 7 V5.2 and native tcp/ip comms. Can anyone tell me a decent way to set up native tcp/ip comms through a 315-2 DP PLC with a 343-1 Ethernet card. I currently can ping the card so parts must be OK, the problem is I cannot seem to create an active connection with any of the partners inserted into NetPro. I have tried each connection as both active connection partner and inactive connection partner and I still cant get a connection. I need to create 4 send/recieve connections and currently not one is working, come on everyone its time to show your genius to this lowley programmer. bonkhead
Cheers.

Norma

This question might be easier to answer if you give us a details on your set-up. You have only told us you are using a 315-2DP with a CP343-1, what are you trying to establish connection to?

What part of the connection doesn't work? can you see the CP card in 'accessible' nodes via MPI?

What is the 'fault' code on the STATUS pins on FC5 and FC6?

Have you configured FC5 and FC6's 'pins' correctly, such as the ID and LADDR pins?

But, don't panic, there are a number of S7 gurus who frequent this forum (I don't include myself in that!) So I am sure your problem will be solved.

Paul

Ooops

OK, so maybe I was a little shy with the information, it was my first post after all. There are 4 communication partners for the PLC, 3 PC's and one printer. 2 of the PC's are used to control other machines and I need bi-directional comms with these. The data I recieve from them will be simple string messages with a maximum size of 242 bytes. The 3rd PC is to be used as a print server, I require one way comms with this as I only have to send it specific data. The printer is one way comms also, as it will only send me messages in string format. I have set up the Ethernet network with all parties present, and the code in the status of FC5 and FC6 is 8181 and there is still no connection. banghead

I think you may need FC60 & FC50, I'm not sure why but it's needed for more than long data strings. I'm Putting a Fetch/Write example with documentation and a TCP Send/Receive Example in the file area .

Last edited:
DesertDog said:
I think you may need FC60 & FC50, I'm not sure why but it's needed for more than long data strings.

That rings a bell DD!! :nodi:

I think that the maximum length for FC5 and FC6 is 240 bytes, that will need confirming.

Norma,

I have never been down the road that you now find yourself, so I am not going to be much help to you. Others might be though!

Paul

It wont help with the printer but for PC's your application can access the PLC memory with Fetch/Write even if there's no program loaded. It's completely passive once setup in the configuration.

As for 50 & 60 instead of 5 & 6 I don't know why but I need them even for 30 bytes.

Norma,
I have used the Siemens S7, but not in a networked situation. I am sure that you know about this, but I have seen cases where another program has the Ethernet port or communication port of the PC computer locked up, so that no other program can access it. You did say that you were using two of the PC's for other programs. Those other programs may have a TSR program that is holding the Ethernet port "in use" so that your program cannot access it. This is a very common situation for the Allen-Bradley RSLinx communications program, which locks up the port and holds on to it as long as RSLinx is running even when it is not actually using the port. I would try disabling all other programs that start when the computer starts. That is not always as simple as it sounds, but it might help find the problem

Here's the VB ap, source code, step by step instructions to set up the connections. If you still can't get it, I'll come over and do it for you. Just kidding!

some tips

from my exp. one partner must be active and the other partner inactive. 2 active partners will not establish a connection

Did you save, compile, and download to all stations and gateways?

open your hardware config online and go into the special diagnostics of your ethernet module. connection problems will be here

Guy's,
You are all stars and thanks for the info.
We have made headway and I am collating all the information into a coherent file. When all is done and working fantastically I will post a small PLC project with accompanying VB front ends for native bi-directional TCP comms so if anyone ever needs to dothis without an OPC server they can.
Thanks Guy's.
Norma

Guy's,
You are all stars and thanks for the info.
We have made headway and I am collating all the information into a coherent file. When all is done and working fantastically I will post a small PLC project with accompanying VB front ends for native bi-directional TCP comms so if anyone ever needs to dothis without an OPC server they can.
Thanks Guy's.
Norma