PanelView 600 error 904 unable to print

GlennA

The question is: Why is it trying to print ?
I edited and downloaded an updated program, but I don't see an obvious cause for this to be happening now.
The Printer port is in file transfer mode. I'm guessing that there is a configuration parameter somewhere, but I haven't found it.
So far it seems to happen on pressing a Change Screen button for the first time after a download, but only then. I'm still testing and revising / downloading versions of the program.
Can someone please suggest something like a data conflict and error reporting parameter that could cause this ?

more information

I have my programming as far as I can go until the tooling catches up. I went back to the printer error to see at which programming change it started. The printer error happens the first time the SLC turns on output O:1.1/11, also displayed as O:1/27. The input that I thought was causing the problem was I:1.1/10, also displayed as I:1/26. I:1/26 is the <F3> button on the PanelView 600, which is the Reset input to the SLC 5/03. When the machine has reset all movements to the starting condition, O:1/27 signals this to the PanelView. After a Power-up, or a re-start after downloading a new program version, the unable to print error happens - but only on the first instance of O:1/27 ON after start-up. When I series-ed XIC and XIO to prevent O:1/27 from ever turning ON, the problem went away. I am going to do some more testing to see if I can get around this problem.

I will post the files later from home = I think the company firewall is preventing me from uploading any files.

Even zipped files seem to be blocked - an upload should not be 15 minutes and still not be complete.

Last edited:
Just a blind guess here. Could it be a slot addressing conflict? I see post #2 has O:1/27 and I:1/26 addresseses which would indcate to me the same slot for both input and output. I could be totally wrong about that even being a problem.

Those are PanelView 'virtual' addresses. I'm using words I:1.0 through I:1.7 and O:1.0 through O:1.7 instead of trying to use block transfers. I have literally 25 revisions to the PanelView and the RSLogix programs; about 20 of them prior to the Unable to Print error happening. The RIO scanner to the PanelView is in slot 1, the real inputs are slots 2 through 7, real outputs slots 8 through 12.

This is what I have checked so far:
Application; Print Only Object; none listed
Multistate Indicator; Ready to Index; read tag "INDEX"; tag address O:1.1/11, [ ]print = is not checked.
The are two other multistate objects that have the same tag address; from the rough version I was given to work from; 'handjob', and 'st3'. [ ]print = is not checked.

Testing information;
These inputs were ON before the PanelView <F3> Reset button was pressed: O:1.0/1, O:1.0/15, O:1.1/14, O:1.1/15, O:1.2/11, O:1.2/13, O:1.2/15, O:1.3/0, O:1.3/1, O:1.3/2, O:1.3/3, O:1.3/5, O:1.3/12, O:1.3/14, O:1.4/3, O:1.4/4, O:1.4/8, O:1.4/11,O:1.4/15, O:1.5/3, O:1.5/5, O:1.5/8, O:1.5/11, O:1.5/12, O:1.7/0, O:1.7/3, O:1.7/4, O:1.7/5.
When the Reset button is pressed the first time after power-up, these outputs turn on: O:1.1/11, O:1.4/12, O:1.6/0, O:1.6/2, O:1.6/4.
I then ran a test and forced just the O:1.1/11 output ON, and the Unable to Print error happened.
This error only happens the first time the Reset button is pressed after power-up, and only the Reset button does this.
I did think of something that I have not checked, and I don't have the software to open the PV file; I haven't checked to see if there is an O:1.1 word object.

In the Panelbuilder32 file, go into your alarms settings. You have one alarm message and the tickbox for print is selected. Uncheck that box and let us know if that fixes the problem. Note, you may have not seen this print column unless you scroll to the right since the text column is set quite wide.

The trigger for that alarm is O:1.1/11 aka 'handjob'. It probably only happens once per power-up cycle because the alarm never gets acknowledged and cleared.

Last edited: