Brand New Fanuc cannot be seen via RSLinx

peelseeds

We're trying to add a new Fanuc Robot do an existing line. We've checked the to make sure the NA and DR are set correctly with no duplicates, we've swapped the controller with another robot to prove the new one isn't defective yet we cannot see the robot via RSLinx... what else do you guys recommend we try?

I thought it might be an EDS issue, but would that cause RSLinx to not even see it at all? no question mark, no nothing.

please help, we're running out of time for the day and I'd like to resolve this because tomorrow is another list of things to accomplish!

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions to come!

take care, PeelSeeds

The first question is always "can you ping it" ?

If it has an embedded web page, can you open that with a browser ?

I also like to use the TCPING utility to verify I can open TCP Port 44818 on the device (that's the EtherNet/IP port number).

My next question will show my ignorance of that product: why would RSLinx need to see a Fanuc robot ?

jkerekes: DeviceNet

Ken: If RSLinx cannot see the device, then I will not be able to add it in the scan list of my deviceNET. it should be a "plug and play" type of device.

jkerekes / Ken : I'm not sure how I can ping a deviceNET device. I can only assign nodes to it.
I do recall being able to log into a http interface on another robot few months back, but I'm not having any success figuring out how I did that.

I assumed we were talking about EtherNet/IP, not DeviceNet. My apologies.

The usual reasons for not being about to browse a DeviceNet device are:

1. Duplicate node number. Make sure there aren't any other Node 63 devices.

2. Incorrect baud rate or power not applied. Sounds like you have that under control.

3. Resource limitation. Some devices will run I/O but not explicit messaging, some have large UCMM handlers to manage multiple explicit clients. Disable any Scanlist entries for this device node number if you already have one in place.

4. Something about the bridge or software. Cycle power to whatever DeviceNet scanner you are using, and do a full reboot of the RSLinx computer.

The DeviceNet equivalent of "ping" is the Identity Object. I've done troubleshooting of this sort of thing just be creating a MSG instruction to read the Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 value (the Vendor Number). If the device responds but my software still can't see it, I know to keep looking at the software side.

We've changed the node address via the teach pendant from 25 to 35(spare) and it still doesnt show in rslinx. baud rate is also set via teach pendant. power is ok, the robot is working, i just cant get it seen on the network.
I don't have any nodes that uses the same address (NA 24 in this case)
I cycvled power to the scanner card, the scanner card has been reading OK.

I've tried searching in RSNetWorx and I cannot find "identify object". I'm completely out of ideas.

EDIT: we also powercycled the robot controller after the node address change

Last edited:
OkiePC, I believe so. we use 250kbps on the network. the robot master uses 500 internally. we set the baud rate on the teach pendant under slave to 250. is there something else i'm missing

the new robot controller DNET cable wasn't plugged into the network.
thanks for your help guys and sorry.... I I tend to trust the electricians when they state their job is done