slc5/04

sgflow

I am trying to communicate with a slc 504 through the rs232 port that is configured for a printer. At the moment I can't get rslinx to recognize the proccessor, anyone got any quick fix? I have been told that you can use a hyperterminal to change the parameters of the processor but I can't get any response from the slc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the "hyperterminal" trick only works if the last programmer left the SLC's Channel 0 set up with "Mode Change Enabled" ... odds are that he did NOT leave it set this way ...

first question ... do you (or someone you know) have access to the proper cables, etc. to connect through the SLC's Channel 1 (DH+) port? ... that's the very best way to handle this problem ...

next question ... is the SLC on a DH+ network with other processors? ... meaning could you get into the "problem" SLC by connecting to the DH+ network through another processor? ...

next question ... do you have a backup copy of the current program in the SLC? ... if the answer is "yes" then you could kill the SLC back to an "off-the-shelf" condition ... ask if you don't know how ... this would reset Channel 0 back to a "programming port" status ... but it also completely erases everything in the SLC ... think: this is sort of like a "reformat the hard drive" type event ...

Last edited:
What are you trying to communicate with? RSLinx? If so, what, if any errors messages pop up? You probably just need to configure Linx properly which shouldn't be too hard to do.
Oops. Ron, didn't mean to step over you.

Last edited:
no problem, Rube ... but if his situation is really as he says:
the rs232 port ... is configured for a printer.
then Channel 0 is no longer available as a "programming" port ... sort of like locking the keys up in the car ... I've got a hunch he needs another way into the processor ...

how about it, sgflow ... are you SURE that's how it's set up? ... do you have a current offline file that you can look at? ... if you do, go to Channel Configuration and look on the "General" tab ... is the "Mode Change Enabled" check box turned on or off? ... if it's on, then we can probably help you do the "hyperterminal" thing ... if it's off, then you need something a little more drastic ...

Last edited:
yes the port is set for a printer and the mode change enable is on, the hyperterminal displayed as connected but I got no response from the proccessor when I tried to change the mode. Is the hyperterminal case sensitive?

you're not likely to see any response from the processor ... try the RSLinx DF1 driver again and press the "Auto Configure" sissy button ... if you're lucky it will connect now ... if it doesn't, check in that offline file I asked you about and tell us what the "Mode Attention Character" and the "System Mode Character" are set for ... usually it's "\1b" and "S" ... that's the Escape key ... then capital "S" in "hyperterminal" ... is that what you tried to type? ...

PS ... you didn't answer all of the questions I asked earlier ... this might be a little bit easier and more straight-forward if you did ...

Sorry about that, I have just learned that I will be recieving a DH card and cable to communicate with it. I do have an offline copy of the program and the proccessor is not in a network with any other processors. Thanks for the support, this forum is great.

Sissy button? I can buy that. I don't feel better about using it though. I always thought it was the "I know more about what I need for configuring myself than you do!" button.

I will be recieving a DH card and cable to communicate with it.

consider yourself lucky ... as I said earlier, this is the very best way to go ... just as long as you (or your boss) can afford it ... now you'll be able to leave the printer permanently connected and still program the processor to your heart's content ...

if you haven't already bought the card and the cable, ask your distributor for a quote on a 1784-PCMC "kit" ... this is usually cheaper than buying the card and the cable as separate parts ... plus you'll also get an adaptor with the kit that can be removed if you ever need to connect to one of the older "classic" PLC-5 processors ... there are still quite a few of those around ...

so, are we done for today? ... or still trying to connect through Channel 0 until the new toys arrive?